Cylinders

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: Cylinders

Post by Kitty » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:16 pm
I was fortunate enough to visit a preserved historical house, and the tour guide pointed out some cylinders in their boxes. I asked her if they were waxed, and upon inspection found that they were graphite. Sounds silly but I hadn't been aware that there were graphite cylinders!
That is so amazing! Where was this?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:12 pm

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:16 pm
I was fortunate enough to visit a preserved historical house, and the tour guide pointed out some cylinders in their boxes. I asked her if they were waxed, and upon inspection found that they were graphite. Sounds silly but I hadn't been aware that there were graphite cylinders!
That is so amazing! Where was this?
The Wiman House in Rock Island, Illinois :)
Go ride the music!
Go ride the music!
Go ride the music!
Go ride the music!

donnie

Post by donnie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:57 pm

This is something I ran across years ago and was fascinated by, but have never thought to post it. It is thought to be the oldest surviving cylinder recording, made ca. 1878.

The second link gives some further detailed information about attempts to figure out exactly what is on it. It is an interesting—and to me at least—a slightly creepy thing to listen to.

http://www.tinfoil.com/cm-0101.htm

http://pong-story.com/lambert/

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:38 pm

That's very cool!! Although I'm not so sure about what he's hearing. At one point I definitely heard o'clock announcements, but the blow by blow stuff he claims he's hearing is lost on me. I don't hear any of the extra words he's saying he hears, such as 'Come on man' etc.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Yeah, I can't hear any of those things, either. (The supposed Come on, man part is really weird.)

I do know, though, that some of these early noisy recordings you can actually decipher better with repeated listening; it's like your ears learn how to filter out the noise with repeated hearings.

I experienced that myself one time. There is a cylinder recording of Johannes Brahms playing one of his Hungarian Dances on piano (made in the late 1880's, I believe). As a classical music fanatic, that really caught my interest. Unfortunately, the cylinder is so heavily damaged, that at first hearing I couldn't begin to tell what he was playing. But after repeated hearings, I could hear it clear as anything—still noisy, of course, but plainly recognizable.

It's too bad more recordings weren't made of him and other great composers of that era. For one thing, it would have given us a lot of valuable historical information about how they played in the 1800's—the style, tempo of their interpretations, etc.

Here it is, if you want to check it out. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXL3I7GPCY