Vintage Photos at Random

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
BettyLouSpence

Re: Vintage Photos at Random

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Amazing, and I love seeing the fashions characteristic of the 1840s and 50s. Look at that hair!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Image description from Wikipedia:
The Alamo Theater No. 2 in Atlanta, Georgia, with displays for its showing of the American comedy film The Chorus Girl's Romance (1920) with Viola Dana, on page 54 of the December 11, 1920 Exhibitors Herald. The cutout of Viola Dana had a mechanism that made her shoulders, which were mounted separately, move like a shimmy dancer. The chief of police arrived the next day and ordered the mechanism turned off, and the theater operator added a "censored" label to the cutout.
:lol:

https://archive.org/details/exhibitorsh ... page/n1315

Snippet:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (326.14 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Last edited by BettyLouSpence on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That is fascinating!! They could be very funny back then!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: Isn’t that interesting?

donnie

Post by donnie »

The original cast of Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker, St. Petersburg, 1892.
Attachments
oldnutcracker-getty_625.jpg
oldnutcracker-getty_625.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 3801 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh, wow!! That's a cool one.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

The Christmas tree at the home of the Wright Brothers, December 1900. If you always wondered what Wilbur and Orville's tree looked like...well—now you know! :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 5.36.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 5.36.05 PM.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 3541 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! It looks like a mess to me. What do you think?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:43 pm
It has kind of a homemade charm to it, I think.

I gather from looking at old photographs that our modern concept of a neatly decorated perfectly pyramidal tree wasn’t a thing back then. A lot of the trees seemed to be any sort of shape—most likely what was available.

Also decorated more haphazardly as well, maybe. They made a lot of their decorations, out of colored paper, strung popcorn, etc. The tree wasn’t as much of a fashion statement as maybe it is today. That’s my impression, anyway. Do you think that’s right?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm
Kitty wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:43 pm
It has kind of a homemade charm to it, I think.

I gather from looking at old photographs that our modern concept of a neatly decorated perfectly pyramidal tree wasn’t a thing back then. A lot of the trees seemed to be any sort of shape—most likely what was available.

Also decorated more haphazardly as well, maybe. They made a lot of their decorations, out of colored paper, strung popcorn, etc. The tree wasn’t as much of a fashion statement as maybe it is today. That’s my impression, anyway. Do you think that’s right?
I think you're right. Also, they used to put the presents ON the tree, so I think having trees like this with crazy branches probably helped in that custom. What are those hanging off the branches? Buckets? 😹