Claudia

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: Claudia

Post by Kitty »

David just called Claudia Sarah Bernhardt.... "or better yet, Lillian Russell." I thought it was so neat that they referenced the latter actress.
Also, have you noticed that some times you can hear Joe King flip script pages? Probably mostly because it is so silent when it is just him talking.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Through 290 now! Where are you? This show is one of the best things that ever happened to me in the old time radio category. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've not listened for a few days—got busy with some other things. I'm not yet to 200. I'll pick it back up! Glad to hear you're still enjoying it.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Finally made it through No. 200—No. 201, to be exact, the birth episode, which I thought was definitely strange. Although the ending was very touching, I didn't really think the idea of having her hallucinate while under anesthesia worked very well—especially the ending where she was screaming out that she was falling :shock: . I guess it was appropriate that she was seeing visions of her son's future, but still—very odd. And did they put women under full anesthesia during childbirth back then?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'd think that episode would be kind of scary for listeners! I think having her hallucinate was a weird choice. It was definitely different from the normal birth episode. Overall, it's not my favorite episode. 😂

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 am
I'd think that episode would be kind of scary for listeners! I think having her hallucinate was a weird choice. It was definitely different from the normal birth episode. Overall, it's not my favorite episode. 😂
Yes, it took what should have been a joyous moment and kind of turned it into a creepy one. But maybe they were trying to recreate something about the way it was written in the original stories?

I did think Paul Crabtree and Peggy Allenby did a good job in those episodes of portraying the feelings of excitement and yet vulnerability and nervousness that a real husband and mother would feel in that situation.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes, those times where it is just Mrs. Brown and David are really well played. Regarding the way it is told in the stories, I'll find out! I'm waiting for the end of the series to read the book I got. I wouldn't want spoilers! 🙂

donnie

Post by donnie »

Does it bother you when the characters pull jokes on strangers on the street? As in when David and Mrs. Brown with the empty carriage had the poor woman convinced that they’d lost their baby and didn’t care? Or when David lied to the concerned gentleman that they’d been evicted from their apartment? They think it’s hilarious, but I thought it was cruel and out of character for them. It would have been ok if they’d eventually said, nah, we were just pulling your leg, etc.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes!!! It's weird. How do you horrify someone like that and not even give them the relief of knowing it was just a joke? Personally, I hate practical jokes, anyway, so I'd think it was mean either way.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:08 am
Jared Tucker is SO annoying in my opinion. Especially in a recent episode I heard. 😤
Was that the pig episode? :)