From the Sears catalog...

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: From the Sears catalog...

Post by Kitty »

Yes! I'd imagine this was put outside for the most part and left, maybe with a curtain around it or something. If you'd bathe in the kitchen as it suggests, I'd think there would be lots of splashies all over the place when ready to drain! (or is a drain on the bottom a given?)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I assumed you'd probably be filling it and emptying with a bucket. That would be a pretty labor-intensive bath! But maybe they did have hoses and a means to drain it otherwise. I hope they did, if they moved it around.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Combs from the 1922 catalogue. If the currency inflation calculator I use is correct, the 89¢ comb would be $13.30 in today's money!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 7.54.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 7.54.15 PM.png (267.57 KiB) Viewed 4137 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

They were probably something they kept forever as opposed to the ones that are sort of throw-away that we have now.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, as is the case with a lot of other things, I'm sure. That's funny to think about, a pocket comb being a valuable possession, isn't it? I'm sure there were people on a budget who bought the 7.5 inch one when they would really have preferred the 10 inch comb. :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

From the 1909 catalogue.
Attachments
1909fall-motorbuggy.jpg
1909fall-motorbuggy.jpg (816.88 KiB) Viewed 4073 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Fascinating! I doubt it was noiseless, though, as it is advertised.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I think that was a wee bit of an exaggeration. They did have some electric autos back then, but this one has a gasoline engine.

A couple of other interesting things: it's $395 for the complete car. You can get it for $370 with some pieces missing. (However, they do recommend the complete car, as you will want fenders and a top sooner or later.) :lol:

And from the first paragraph: "...we had in mind a maximum speed that was reasonable and fast as anybody should ride; namely, 25 miles per hour." But also notice that the headlights are basically kerosene lamps. So maybe it would be better not to be going over 25. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That price is $10940 in today's money according to the inflation calculator. From their description, I would think this is the best car ever made! Even a child could use it! (but why would you want one to?) That makes me wonder when age limits were put in place to operate a motor vehicle.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:32 pm
Even a child could use it! (but why would you want one to?) That makes me wonder when age limits were put in place to operate a motor vehicle.
I wondered the same thing. I'm sure licensing wasn't in place yet, as cars were so rare. That would be an interesting thing to know (but how do you search for the history of driver's licenses? :) )