Shadow of the Vampire

This is where we can put reviews for photoplay created after the silent era.
Kitty

Shadow of the Vampire

Post by Kitty »

I just got done watching Shadow of the Vampire. This was so entertaining, mostly because of Willem Dafoe's performance. Seriously good.
John Malkovich plays F.W. Murnau in this indie film. He is making Nosferatu, and he has hired Max Schreck (Willem Dafoe), super weirdo, to play Count Orlock. Strange things begin to happen, as the actors start to realize that Schreck is not quite human. Dafoe plays Nosferatu so perfectly, that one may wonder if he is Count Orlock reincarnated. As an added bonus, there are small clips of actual footage from the original silent masterpiece.
Highly recommended for Nosferatu lovers.
And Willem Dafoe just gained another fan. I was impressed. I'm going to venture that I think they could remake the full Nosferatu movie with Willem Dafoe and no one would know the difference between the two.
Rating 8/10
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: Shadow of the Vampire

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Good review Kitty, it's a real gem of a movie and Dafoe completely owned it and Malkovich was, as always, his brilliant weirdy old self. I can't think of one movie that hasn't benefited greatly just by having John Malkovich in it.

I'd highly recommend this movie to any film buff, there is much to enjoy.

Back to Dafoe, if you aren't bothered by violence, Boondock Saints 1999, which has reached cult status, anyway Dafoe gives one of his best, albeit super quirky performances and also the added bonus of Billy Connolly being in it.

It's definitely a violence driven film, but it is so over the top I didn't have a problem with it. Some people find the film offensive and then some of us own it and LOVE it.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I remember liking Boondocks Saints when I first saw it, probably because of the hot Irish guys. 😋. I'd have to see it again to form a true opinion, because it's been soooo long.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:19 am
I remember liking Boondocks Saints when I first saw it, probably because of the hot Irish guys. 😋. I'd have to see it again to form a true opinion, because it's been soooo long.
Oh good. Yeah Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead and Sean Patrick Flanery, he was in one season of Dexter, the last season.
Yes you can rewatch it with fresh eyes. So many times I'll go back and watch a movie and it's surprising how many things I might of missed or some actors that went on to fame and I completely forget they were even in what ever movie it is.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!