Criticism of the Photoplay

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Criticism of the Photoplay

Post by Kitty »

Motion Picture Story Magazine encouraged people to write in their criticisms of certain films as well as their praise. Here is a fun example. I love number 4.
One thought: Wouldn't it be so amazing to see a silent film on the scale where you can even see that sort of thing? I mean, these criticisms are so minuscule that I don't even know if I would notice some of these things in a new film! I wonder what it was like to be experiencing this medium when it was new. I guess I can compare the feeling with playing with VR equipment. Those are really something!
This is from the February 1913 edition of Motion Picture Story.
Attachments
Selection_010.png
Selection_010.png (292.22 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Criticism of the Photoplay

Post by donnie »

Yes, some people notice those miniscule things. I thought no. 1 was funny.

Have you ever seen Hoodoo Ann (1916)? (One of my favorite films.) It has a part in the middle that is a parody of bad westerns of the era. It is crammed with deliberate continuity errors somewhat similar to those above, bad scripts, and over-acting—quite funny.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

wow! That sounds pretty unusual. Is it on YouTube? I'll watch that for sure.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 pm
It is, but there’s no score, darn it, and you know how I feel about that... but if you want to watch it anyway, the part I mean starts around minute 34, where Bobby Harron and Mae Marsh go to the movies. (If you want a copy of the whole thing with a proper score, I can remedy that ;) )

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 pm
Kitty wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 pm
It is, but there’s no score, darn it, and you know how I feel about that... but if you want to watch it anyway, the part I mean starts around minute 34, where Bobby Harron and Mae Marsh go to the movies. (If you want a copy of the whole thing with a proper score, I can remedy that ;) )
I'll check it out and then let you know if I have that 'must see' feeling after watching that scene!

donnie

Post by donnie »

10-4 :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This is not really a criticism of the photoplay itself, but a lament on the amount of advertisements between reels that were thrown up onto the screen by theater staff. I like the poem, but I especially like the artwork surrounding the poem. :lol: :)
Attachments
Ad Anger.jpg
Ad Anger.jpg (604.65 KiB) Viewed 3722 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: I like The Morphine Victim one.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:37 pm
:lol: I like The Morphine Victim one.
The whiskey one is good, too, and The Manger To The Cross one is funny!