Favorite Old Songs

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: Favorite Old Songs

Post by Kitty »

I just discovered this super fun song called At The Moving Picture Ball sung by Billy Murray in this version. The name dropping is astonishing, and I believe that these lyrics are the earliest version, since so many names are from the earlier years. I read that in later versions of the song the names were changed, because some of the actors named had already lost their popularity. What a super cool time capsule this is!! ❤
https://youtu.be/0S44P1f6I08
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That is really neat! I'm glad the poster put the nice photos—I'd have missed some of the names.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 am
That is really neat! I'm glad the poster put the nice photos—I'd have missed some of the names.
Yeah, there's one with lyrics in the description, but the lyrics were wrong.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I don't think I've shared this song on here. A Hundred Sixty Acres by Bing Crosby The Andrews Sisters.

https://youtu.be/eVJ08vzHPMA

donnie

Post by donnie »

Boy, that sounds like a pretty nice life. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I like this song! I listened to two versions, and liked this one better. Jimmie Rogers - In the Jailhouse Now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJpdPA38AsM

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's really authentic old time country music, complete with yodeling. I wonder what year this was recorded.

What is it that appeals to you particularly about this song? The lyrics or the general sound?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:08 pm
What is it that appeals to you particularly about this song? The lyrics or the general sound?
Both, really. I like the raw early versions of things, and old time country is just that. It's just so simple, and much of it seems so heartfelt.

The lyrics in this song in particular are quite clever in my opinion. I think it's funny. It's not at all serious, but fun fun fun. 🙂

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:30 pm
I like the raw early versions of things, and old time country is just that. It's just so simple, and much of it seems so heartfelt.
Well said. I think that is what appeals to many people about it. And you can hear in both the music and the subject matter its roots in old time Appalachian folk music—which I am a fan of, and also of bluegrass.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Pretty sure I've never posted this song before. LOVE this song! 😂 Novelty songs are so fun.
Papa Rolled His Own - Tommy James and the Shondells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVu54JKgHY