Highlights Magazine

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Highlights Magazine

Post by Kitty »

I got a kick out of this. I used to love Highlights magazine when I was little, and this was one of the regular features. Goofus and Gallant is what it was called. Good us was mean and selfish and Fall ant was always a nice boy. I enjoyed seeing the extremes between the two. Here's one I found last night that is especially extreme.
Attachments
ec9dca9bd98b81a1d5bbd5fd6856deff1684815599.jpg
ec9dca9bd98b81a1d5bbd5fd6856deff1684815599.jpg (648.55 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Miscellaneous Funnies

Post by donnie »

Oh, wow, I'd forgotten all about Highlights. I used to LOVE Goofus and Gallant. That was my favorite feature. I don't know if any of the lessons soaked in. Well, I don't run with scissors pointing up. :D

What else is in there? Wasn't there something called the Timbertoes? And also, I seem to remember another comic of some sort about good manners that was more in story form.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I loved Timbertoes. I don't know which other one you mean, but I did like one that had a story that would have pictures in some points instead of words. Like this:

Johnny climbed the 🌲 and picked an 🍎. He thought he might bring some to his 🏠 to share with his 👪. He rode his 🚲 to his 🏠.

You get the idea. Those were fun.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Those are fun. I don't remember them in Highlights, but I'm sure I liked them at the time. That kind of picture/word thing (I'm sure there's a term for it—rebus?) is what they used to do on the old Concentration game show. Those were hard—I could hardly ever get any of them.

About the moral story, I'm may be thinking of some other publication.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:01 pm
If you figure out which publication that is, let me know. That sounds very interesting.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:14 pm
donnie wrote:
If you figure out which publication that is, let me know. That sounds very interesting.
I will if I figure it out, but the chances probably aren't good. ;) I'm wondering if it could have been Children's Digest, but I doubt it. I'll keep looking around.

Say, I wonder if there might be some online scans of old Highlights at the Internet Archive, Google Books, etc.?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Say, I wonder if there might be some online scans of old Highlights at the Internet Archive, Google Books, etc.?
I looked and I can only find an issue from 2003 that I can look through on archive.org. Sheesh! With the wonderful history Highlights has had (first issue was in 1946) you'd think they would want to celebrate their history and make the old ones available online. They're available to buy on ebay, though. Just wish it was easier. I'd love love love to see an old one. By the way, I never realized that they have no third-party advertising in their magazines.

donnie

Highlights Magazine

Post by donnie »

That's too bad—thanks for looking anyway. I don't think I realized that about the advertising, either. But now that I think of it, that's what probably made it seem a little classier than maybe some other children's magazines. And also what probably made the subscription price higher!