What's My Line?

Kitty

Re: What's My Line

Post by Kitty »

Yes! That ring question got a huge laugh. And Steve is fantastic and likeable as well. They knew how to pick 'em on this show! I didn't know Admiral Halsey at all, so I also looked him up.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

This episode is notable for two mystery guests: the great Carl Sandburg (probably my favorite poet) and Milton Berle, who is hilarious.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GkJ2-rP78TU

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's another really good one with Mystery Guest Hedda Hopper. This one also has all the commercials!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbpYEIcVJwA
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:45 pm
This episode is notable for two mystery guests: the great Carl Sandburg (probably my favorite poet) and Milton Berle, who is hilarious.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GkJ2-rP78TU
That was a great episode! Carl Sandburg was pretty old at this point, and I'm thinking hard of hearing, attesting to the fact that he had to have John repeat the question to him over. He seems like a quirky guy, though I guess many of us writers are like that. *primps hair in sophisticated fashion*
I can't say that I know any of his work. What are the names of some of your favorite of his work that you'd suggest checking out?
This is the first, I think, that I've seen Sunbeam as a sponsor on What's My Line. I'm watching them all in order, and that Hedda Hopper one above is the last I've seen at this moment, which is a 1951 episode. Currently Stopette is the sponsor.
Milton Berle is very funny here. I'm a bit ashamed to say that I don't think I've seen much at all of his work, either, though I've seen very short clips on infomercials selling VHS or DVDs. (yes, I was one of those weird children that enjoyed watching infomercials on PBS and other channels that show those types of things).
One thing I noticed -- another mention of Jack Parr crying. That must have been a real sensation to have all those references. I wonder if the panelists ever did go on Milton's upcoming show.
Another thing I noticed is the huge difference in hairstyles in this later episode. Dorothy and Arlene's hairstyles are simply adorable in this. They are much more flattering than the earlier episodes.
Finally, you can tell that that boy who is between Arlene and Dorothy is a first-timer and a bit of a doof. He keeps asking directly if they are this person or that person. Sheesh! :lol: Unprofessional swine! :lol:
Thanks for sharing!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:25 pm

That was a great episode! Carl Sandburg was pretty old at this point, and I'm thinking hard of hearing, attesting to the fact that he had to have John repeat the question to him over. He seems like a quirky guy, though I guess many of us writers are like that. *primps hair in sophisticated fashion*
I can't say that I know any of his work. What are the names of some of your favorite of his work that you'd suggest checking out?
You writers! :roll: :D Yes, Sandburg does seem a little out of it at times. Part of that may have indeed been his hearing, and he was indeed an odd, quirky kind of character who wouldn't necessarily be smooth-mannered and orderly on a show of this type. :)
Some poems that come to mind are:
Chicago
Wind Song
Grass
Prayers of Steel
Arithmetic
The People, Yes

I love to hear him recite his poetry. He had such a colorful, melodious, distinctive voice. There used to be a YouTube video of him reciting The People, Yes (or a part thereof)—don't know if it's still there.
Kitty wrote:
Currently Stopette is the sponsor.
I've just watched the Hedda Hopper one with the commercials. That was a good one, despite Hal Block's obnoxiousness. I noticed they said a small squeeze bottle of Stopette contained months worth of deodorant. Huh??
Kitty wrote:
...(yes, I was one of those weird children that enjoyed watching infomercials on PBS and other channels that show those types of things).
I LOVE infomercials. I could sit and watch them all day, not sure why. They had some good ones on back in the '90's. I wish there were more vintage ones on YouTube.
Kitty wrote:
Finally, you can tell that that boy who is between Arlene and Dorothy is a first-timer and a bit of a doof. He keeps asking directly if they are this person or that person. Sheesh! :lol: Unprofessional swine! :lol:
Yeah, I'm not sure who that is. He did seem like a first-timer. And Hal Block kept asking questions that had already been answered.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:39 pm
Yes, Sandburg does seem a little out of it at times. Part of that may have indeed been his hearing, and he was indeed an odd, quirky kind of character who wouldn't necessarily be smooth-mannered and orderly on a show of this type.
About Sandburg, I meant to mention his weird hair. Is that a toupee? Odd comb over?
donnie wrote:
I noticed they said a small squeeze bottle of Stopette contained months worth of deodorant. Huh??
I didn't notice that! That is pretty weird... Maybe at this point they didn't shower every day?
I guess I was focusing more on the packaging, and who back in the 50s might pose for an advertisement photo like that woman on the packaging is. :lol:
donnie wrote:
And Hal Block kept asking questions that had already been answered.
Yes! I also forgot to mention that the panel seems unusually loose tonight, especially Dorothy, who is laughing and has a huge smile on her face tonight. Maybe they'd had some wine and dinner before filming the show?

One more thing. Do you ever answer out loud for the contestant when they hesitate to answer? It's weird how often they look to John to answer a question, as if they don't even know their own profession well. Maybe because they're nervous... or maybe they just don't understand the panelists for the weird way they state their questions.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 pm
About Sandburg, I meant to mention his weird hair. Is that a toupee? Odd comb over?
That's his distinctive hairstyle—not a toupee.
Kitty wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 pm
One more thing. Do you ever answer out loud for the contestant when they hesitate to answer? It's weird how often they look to John to answer a question, as if they don't even know their own profession well. Maybe because they're nervous... or maybe they just don't understand the panelists for the weird way they state their questions.
I think sometimes the contestants do that because it's a gray area question and they are looking to John for instruction on which way to go. Or sometimes they may be nervous or haven't understood the question clearly (they seemed to have problems with contestants hearing at times.) Other times, it's hard to figure why they would hesitate.

And oftentimes I've noticed that is the case with famous people who are not in the entertainment industry. One I remember was Lowell Thomas, the famous journalist. As I recall (it's been awhile since I've seen it), he almost seemed unable to answer any of the questions. I also saw one with Frank Lloyd Wright, the famous architect, who was not a very good contestant.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here is another fascinating episode with Arthur Godfrey as the Mystery Guest. I think it's fantastic, one, because of the old lady, who is 86 here. For whatever reason, I love seeing old game shows with very old people.
The second reason is that we get to see Arthur Godfrey who we can hear on that 1937 full day broadcast on Sundial.

https://youtu.be/uoPO3rNdQr0

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's a great episode—thanks for posting. :) The elderly lady was a doll. I think they'd never have gotten her occupation if she hadn't given away that bit about male or female.

And re Arthur Godfrey, you can really see here how enormously popular he was at that time by the way the audience went wild. I think he was probably the most popular entertainer in the country at that time (which would soon change, due to the LaRosa firing).

I didn't understand about Hal Block disqualifying himself, saying he'd gotten a glance at Godfrey, and then being shocked at seeing him.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I didn't hear him say he'd gotten a glance at him. I just thought that curiosity got the best of him and he had to know.