What's My Line?

Kitty

Re: What's My Line

Post by Kitty »

That was hilarious! It's even better when the audience roars with laughter. The panelists, especially the girls, always seemed kind of annoyed when they get big laughs after answering questions, not just in this clip, but in every one of the panelist shows I've been watching. Dorothy and Arlene look especially beautiful in this clip. I wonder what year it was?
Thanks for sharing. I hadn't seen it before.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm not sure of the year, but it was pretty early on in the 50's, I'd guess. What I found most funny was Steve Allen trying to figure what in the world was going on with the audience's extreme reactions to his questions. That was classic. And did you notice how John Daly didn't ask her for any details about her work afterwards? :lol: There are a couple more really funny ones I'll try to post.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here's another good one. Steve Allen had a talent for getting himself into trouble with certain lines of questioning. :lol:
(not embeddable) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RSao1JP5BU

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This lady could have won first place in a Marilyn Monroe look alike contest! 🥇
Toni West
https://youtu.be/lCHjXsuzaCU
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Wow, she does look like her. That's amazing. Even her facial expressions, mannerisms, and voice are somewhat like her, though that could be deliberate?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 pm
Wow, she does look like her. That's amazing. Even her facial expressions, mannerisms, and voice are somewhat like her, though that could be deliberate?
I think so. I just watched an episode with Mamie Vandoren as the guest, and she also was making the same facial expressions, though she didn't look as much like her as this civilian does!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I saw the one with Mamie Vandoren also, though it's been awhile back.

On a side note, are there certain celebrities who are (or were) wildly popular, but you've never been able to see why? Marilyn Monroe is one of those for me. I never have understood why the public was so fascinated by her.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I can't speak for Marilyn Monroe, because I have not seen much of her work.

That being said, I think perception is distorted because her image is everywhere. I mean, she was much prettier than these stylized drawings you see all over the place. She hardly even looked like the shiny paintings that have been massed produced and are sold in many stores. I wonder how many people wearing Marilyn Monroe shirts or carrying purses with her image on it have even seen a film of hers?

John Wayne is one of those that I never did understand the popularity, and I really don't like Marlon Brando.

donnie

Post by donnie »

You bring up a good point about Monroe. I haven't seen a film of hers either, so maybe I ought to reserve judgment, myself. :oops: :) But the thing that puzzles me is: why/how did she become such an icon apart from her films? Why is her image mass produced? Sure, she's pretty (for a blonde—I'm not too partial to blondes 8-) ), but so are millions of other women; and I gather she was a good actress, too, but so were lots of others...

I can see the appeal of John Wayne pretty well—Marlon Brando I can take or leave.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Maybe it's because she died young. The Jim Morrison effect.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)