Toshiko Akiyoshi

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Toshiko Akiyoshi

Post by Kitty »

I learned about her because she was a contestant on What's My Line! Incidentally, it was the episode immediately following the death of Fred Allen. Toshiko Akiyoshi wasn't well known at the time, because her name was revealed and they did not use blindfolds. She still performs at 88 years old. Here she is on the tv program The Subject Is Jazz, 1958. I think she's awesome.
https://youtu.be/sutvim58cIQ
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Toshiko Akiyoshi

Post by donnie »

She is really good, isn't she? Certainly one of the best jazz pianists I've ever heard.

I think I may have seen that episode of WML a long time ago. She didn't play on the program, did she?

Kitty

Re: Toshiko Akiyoshi

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 pm
She didn't play on the program, did she?
I was hoping she would, but no, she did not. Her daughter is a pop singer, Monday Michiru. She's not very good, though. 😖
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)