My Three Sons

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
donnie

My Three Sons

Post by donnie »

I wanted to make a thread for probably my favorite vintage sitcom of them all (well, except for The Andy Griffith Show, maybe). This show went on for many years, making the transition from B&W to color, and changes in the cast over the years, but was always a favorite.

It's really the early B&W episodes—about the first three years or so—that are my very favorites. Whereas the later seasons got a little schmaltzy (though still good), the early episodes often had an edgy, kind of off-the-wall quality to them.

And I loved the cast. Here is a great promo shot of Steve, Bub, and the boys from the early days.
Attachments
1962_My_Three_Sons.jpg
1962_My_Three_Sons.jpg (180.21 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

Kitty

Re: My Three Sons

Post by Kitty »

Hey! I don't know Fred Mertz was in that!! I'll have to grab a few episodes for viewing. I always like the earliest episodes of things, too.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I just found a lot of the season 1 episodes seem to be on YouTube in good quality. :) Here is a cool one. My wife hates this episode & says it gets on her nerves, but I think it's a classic.
Countdown Aerospace - 10/20/60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruGpPKn9kGE

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That was interesting! Some parts were kind of annoying -- how could an adult be so careless about something so important as his drawing for work --- everyone getting caught in the doorway --- why is he so focused on burning the garbage before school in the morning (priorities!!) --- and why is no one else interested in a launch that is happening (unless the youngest is the only one who thought it was happening now). I definitely rolled my eyes when they started going through the whole 'find it' process all over again with the dad.
That being said, this is the first episode I have ever seen of this show, and I rather liked it. It was very radio-show-esque in that it was all one situation in real time. It took place all in one spot. I liked its simple yet complexness.
I think what I liked best was the cinematography. Do all the episodes have that style? It looks beautiful, especially the ending with the oldest boy sitting next to the TV while writing his paper, with the pre-recorded launch happening in the background.
Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see some other good episodes. Please share more of your favorites.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for watching! I’m glad you found it interesting. :D I would say this one has an atypical, experimental plot, though there are some other similar ones. Yes, the early episodes have much that same cinematography.

Here’s a funny one, if you get a chance to watch it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLxpqVWfRIZoGAtf4AUgKFDS3PgNTqZCVh&v=NWig6geKxEY

Gholston

Post by Gholston »

donnie wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:14 pm
Thanks for watching! I’m glad you found it interesting. :D I would say this one has an atypical, experimental plot, though there are some other similar ones. Yes, the early episodes have much that same cinematography.
My Three Sons was pretty amazing indeed. Fred MacMurray was just hilarious and the rest of the cast was too. They don't make them like that anymore, as people say.