Literature That Glorifies the Photoplay

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Re: Literature That Glorifies the Photoplay

Post by Kitty »

This one tickled my funny bone! :lol:
Attachments
Selection_007.png
Selection_007.png (207.59 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, a little psychology might have worked! :lol:

What are "slats"? Ribs, maybe?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Maybe it's slang for "sides". It's very strange!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here is an interesting one page article that mentions Sarah Bernhardt and the reception of her photoplays. I kind of think that she wasn't that good in the first place, but in a world where it wasn't possible for millions of people to go to the theaters to see her in stage plays like they do now, the reviews were extremely powerful. What do you think?

A Word About Celebrated Stars in Photoplays

donnie

Post by donnie »

Interesting--the writer really kind of disses Bernhardt, doesn't he? She's in it for the money, in other words. I thought he was going in the direction of offering the thought that actors who have made film their specialty are superior to stage actors in photoplays. But then he mentions the other stage actors whom he believes might make a better impression than Bernhardt.

Everytime I read one of these articles, it makes me so much want to go back and live in that era—for so many reasons. :cry:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I agree! I'd like to "get" fully how it was for them.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This is the longest acrostic poem I have ever seen, I think! 4 lines for each letter in the words Picture Players. WHEW! This was in February 1913 Motion Picture Story Magazine.
Attachments
Picture Players Acrostic.jpg
Picture Players Acrostic.jpg (160.35 KiB) Viewed 4455 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's a good one. I like the "P is for players not mentioned here." :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This is more a compliment than literature, but I think it fits in this thread, anyway. From February 1913 Motion Picture Story Magazine.
Attachments
Selection_012.png
Selection_012.png (141.35 KiB) Viewed 4227 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

I wonder what she meant by making a love scene appear "foolish" —?