Silent Shorts

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
donnie

Re: Silent Shorts

Post by donnie »

Yes, that's on the Christmas Past DVD I have. I love that! I don't know why I like watching it so much. For one thing, it seems amazing how much carefree *fun* people used to have...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The Easter Eggs, 1907, another Segundo de Chomón production!

https://youtu.be/KOoTbt-oVW4
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's a charming one, and very appropriate for Easter! :D I don't think I've ever seen that one.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:59 pm
That's a charming one, and very appropriate for Easter! :D I don't think I've ever seen that one.
Me either! Strange, for I thought I'd seen everything of Chomon's on YouTube... But there are others I see in addition that I haven't. I think they added more since I've checked. Yes, that's it. ☺️
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Miwi1010

Post by Miwi1010 »

I must also mention Max Linder and his sophisticated comedic style for the time. I really like to see his manneirisms on screen.

Max Linder in 'Le baromètre de la fidélité' (France 1909)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXvRCoeXv0

donnie

Post by donnie »

Miwi1010 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:47 am
I must also mention Max Linder and his sophisticated comedic style for the time. I really like to see his manneirisms on screen.

Yes, Max Linder is wonderful. I liked this one. I'd never seen it before—thanks for posting. :)

Miwi1010

Post by Miwi1010 »

I really like the pioneering side of Linder. His films and style were so sophisticated and films were at the very beginning back then, a working class thing, virtually. It's also beautiful how Charlie Chaplin expressed his admiration for him, even after having succeeded in Hollywood. Too bad the sad death and personal problems of Linder overshadowed his career. He was unlucky to have lived in an era when medicine technology to treat depression wasn't so evolved yet. If it was nowadays, perhaps some medication could've helped him to feel better. But we can't change the past and fortunately we have some of his films left to enjoy.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ok, this is technically NOT a short film, but it is the first reel of a six-reel film called The Flying Ace (1926) produced by Norman Studios. I want to see the rest now!!!!!!, but I can't because it doesn't seem to be available in full online. It really looks like a most enjoyable film, and the acting is lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwMoCJBf8A0

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:04 pm
1939 family movies of sledding—with score by Ben Model. :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lu9xEIy_7g&feature=em-uploademail
I saw this by accident on youtube again today, and I decided to do a little research. I'm pretty sure this film was taken in 1939 in Minnesota. The license plate looks just like it would. See my comment on the video.

P.S. Do you ever go back and read a comment you made --- anywhere, youtube, a forum, etc. and think "Did I really write that?" the comment seems so alien sometimes, strange wording, or I surprise myself with my articulation (I know that may sound really conceited, but it is the only way I can convey the feeling!) It's almost embarrassing. Well that happened to me a few minutes ago, and that is why I bring it up. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Miwi1010 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:47 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXvRCoeXv0
This is a really great short! It reminds me much of a Bollywood film.