Quote of the Day

Fun and Games!
donnie

Re: Quote of the Day

Post by donnie »

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
- Stephen Chbosky

I had to think about that one for awhile, but I think there is a lot of truth to it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's true!!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

"There are no boring subjects, only disinterested minds."
- G. K. Chesterton

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. - Mark Twain
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Ah, yes! Good one. :-)

Here's a related Twain one, one of my favorites:
"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes."

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

He was so witty! I love Mark Twain. He was hilariously sarcastic many times, too.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm
He was hilariously sarcastic many times, too.
Here's a good example:

"If a person offends you and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures. Simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick."
- Mark Twain, Advice to Youth Speech, 1882

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ha ha... Do you think he meant a literal brick or a metaphorical brick? :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Literal, I would say!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Speaking of a statue and picture of Medusa --

"How, as a child, I used to puzzle over the strange fable in both statue and picture! But, since then, I have had experience of Gorgon natures in real life; natures that chilled and repressed, stupefied all with whom they came in contact; and I wonder less at the fable, and I pass the word onto you, that you may know, when unsympathetic surroundings chill your heart and blunt your feelings, and subdue your better self, that you are being haunted by Da Vinci's very Medusa, by Gellini's very Medusa, snaky locks, fixed eyes, impassive deadness." -- A Child of Florence.

Can you believe that's mostly all one sentence?