Magic Island

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: Magic Island

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:07 pm
I'm glad you're listening again. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the episodes (only up through 52! :) )
Yes, that's part of the reason I was pushing through, because I didn't want to get too far behind you, and see accidental spoilers!

😃 It's fun to listen to old time radio with others!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I absolutely love the way the woman commander talked to Jerry on their first meeting. He needs to be taken down a peg.
The voice actor playing Jerry really isn't that great.... I'm often taken out of the action because he seems to be mindlessly reading his lines sometimes. You can tell he's reading.
Also, at the end of one episode, right before the track ends, you can hear a woman cough.
I like little things like that. For example, sometimes you can hear talking under the episodes of Mister Rogers. The show is so quiet that you can hear people in the background. It just adds another bit of history to the thing. ☺️
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:13 pm
I absolutely love the way the woman commander talked to Jerry on their first meeting. He needs to be taken down a peg.
Yes, he gets a good comeuppance. "Silence, fool" :lol: Remember, he's only a 16-year-old kid, though.
Kitty wrote:
The voice actor playing Jerry really isn't that great.... I'm often taken out of the action because he seems to be mindlessly reading his lines sometimes. You can tell he's reading.
In the elevator when the oxygen is running low (I think you have got that far?) his delivery sounded particularly phony.
Kitty wrote:

Also, at the end of one episode, right before the track ends, you can hear a woman cough.
I like little things like that. For example, sometimes you can hear talking under the episodes of Mister Rogers. The show is so quiet that you can hear people in the background. It just adds another bit of history to the thing. ☺️
Yes, it's always interesting to see those kinds of bits.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I definitely laughed out loud when Joan said "I like when you hold my arm, Jerry." "Gee, you do?" Yes, that way I can catch you if you fall." Bahaha

Also on the very first episode I liked the line, "Yes, and Billy the kid was just a kid when he had to put extra long handles on his guns to hold all his notches." I thought it was pretty clever.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I don't know if I've laughed this much at an old time radio show!
Jerry: Well gigglin' goldfish!
Joan: Jerry! You know very well that a goldfish does not giggle! :lol:

There are tons of lines to laugh at, as well as lines to roll your eyes at in this entertaining series. I'm on episode 47. I'm catching up! You'll have to start up again!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm
Joan: Jerry! You know very well that a goldfish does not giggle! :lol:
I remember laughing at that one—even though I knew it was coming. :lol:
Yes, let me know when you get up to ~52.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm at 52. Definitely a natural stopping point! It was great to listen to that all day while I catalogued my books. :) 6 hours later I'm not done with them yet! :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, but it's a labor of love, I'm sure! I'll pick MI back up tomorrow.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

"Atta Baby!" is a creepy expression.

donnie

Post by donnie »

:) How so :?: