Christmas Songs

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
donnie

Re: Christmas Songs

Post by donnie »

That's a nice one! It's been snowing here all morning, so I'm finally in kind of a Christmas mood. :D

I guess my favorite Christmas music is the traditional hymns and—most especially—Handel's Messiah! But I love the secular Christmas songs as well, and of those, my absolute favorite of all time is Merry Christmas, Darling by Karen Carpenter. Her voice, the way she interprets that song, Richard Carpenter's arrangement—it just really gets next to me. If I'm shopping and that comes over the loudspeaker, I'll just stop in my tracks and listen, even though I've heard it a bazillion times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcTdzSWrRLQ

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I like that one, too! I always sing along with it when I hear it.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Dominick the Donkey
https://youtu.be/hYlvfX3nwlc
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

How 'bout this one? "'Zat You, Santa Claus?"
https://youtu.be/O3TXwWANFbM

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys
https://youtu.be/aSynDh_K0EE

donnie

Post by donnie »

Never associated the Beach Boys with Christmas! They're always nice to hear. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm so super excited right now because guess what I just found?? Actual Kmart in-store Christmas music from 1974. I found it on youtube by accident. The first song is this cheesy song about how Kmart is so great. :lol: listen:
https://youtu.be/cgnaWbPLAks

You know what's so great about this, aside from the sales and security announcements in between some songs, it seems that they are all instrumentals for the most part. Some "ahhh's" to accompany the music, but I haven't heard any real words sung in the songs. It would be so amazing to listen to this at a store and not have to hear the annoying screeching that goes for singing in some songs.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:13 am
You know what's so great about this, aside from the sales and security announcements in between some songs, it seems that they are all instrumentals for the most part. Some "ahhh's" to accompany the music, but I haven't heard any real words sung in the songs. It would be so amazing to listen to this at a store and not have to hear the annoying screeching that goes for singing in some songs.
Wow! I love this!!! ImageThanks so much for posting it. I'm going to download this keeper!

Yes! This is what shoppers used to hear when they were in stores—so relaxing and pleasant. I would sure be in more of a mood to buy listening to this than some of the stuff they play now for shopping music.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yay! So happy I could share it with you. I would love to hear all soothing music while I shop. There is one song that gets louder and louder in volume as it plays in my store. Some glitch in the system, I guess, and it gets so loud I can't hear the customer! Crazy!

donnie

Post by donnie »

That security announcement brings up something I've been wondering about. It sounds like it's a part of the tape. So, is this like a fake security announcement just put in there routinely to make potential shoplifters think twice? Do stores do that?

In the supermarket I shop in, I used to hear automated things like that on the background tape, saying "security scan, aisle 7" or something like that. If I were on aisle 7 when that came on, it would kind of freak me out. (Did I do something guilty looking??)
Last edited by donnie on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.