Magic Island

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: Magic Island

Post by Kitty »

I had a huge crush on Bud when I used to watch it regularly. I wasn't thinking of him, though. I was thinking more of someone Betty would date. Maybe even a Whitey type character on Leave It to Beaver in the later years.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm through episode 8. Don't like G-47. :evil:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

He reminds one of Peter Lorre, don't you think?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, now that you mention it. I don't like the way he snickers.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

My headphones died on me last night on episode 19. I guess my husband has been using them more than I thought!! They should be done charging tonight so I can start my marathon again. :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm up to episode 28 and getting a kick out of it. I especially like Joan—I think she and Jerry's grammar feuds are funny, as is her confusion about slang. "How will it help anything to keep my upper lip stiff??" :lol:

Another thing that's funny about this series—so far—is that there is very little actual action. Almost the whole program consists of long conversations about G-47’s motives or technical explanations about the island from Joan. Also, the characters seem talk a lot about how pessimistic and/or optimistic they are at the moment. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh, my! You're ahead of me! I'm only at 19 still! I'm glad you're enjoying it, too.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 pm
Oh, my! You're ahead of me! I'm only at 19 still! I'm glad you're enjoying it, too.
I tend to listen in batches. When I get it going, if I'm doing things around the house, I just let several play. Right now I can't visualize listening to all 130 episodes :!: but I may end up doing it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm on episode 23, and all these "Just like a girl..." comments and the like that Jerry is making are super annoying, especially when Joan is so much smarter than he is.
Anyway, the story just got exciting. 🙂

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:02 pm
I'm on episode 23, and all these "Just like a girl..." comments and the like that Jerry is making are super annoying, especially when Joan is so much smarter than he is.
Anyway, the story just got exciting. 🙂
Yes, they are annoying, and rather silly—but get used to it because there are plenty more of them ahead. :?

Anyway, I made it through episode 52 and stopped there for awhile because it is kind of a natural conclusion. I'll probably pick it back up soon.

I'm glad you're listening again. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the episodes (only up through 52! :) )