Offers Herself as Bride for $10,000

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
donnie

Offers Herself as Bride for $10,000

Post by donnie »

Here is an interesting little item from my Treasures III DVD set put out by the National Film Preservation Foundation.

https://youtu.be/T73wtiGsvSs

Kitty

Re: Offers Herself as Bride for $10,000

Post by Kitty »

:lol: I totally thought this was going to be a spam ad at first glance of the title of thread. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I watched this just now, and I feel so bad for her! I wonder if the plan worked? If so, did she stay with the man she picked?

Edit: I did some digging and found multiple news articles. One I found from December 24th, 1931 Des Moines Register newspaper reads:
Girl Who Sought To Wed for Cash Finds True. Love , PHILADELPHIA (U.S.) Mary Clowes, attractive 21-year-old New Eagle, Pa., bru-net who offered to sell herself in matrimony to any man with $10,000, Wednesday withdrew her offer. The reason ? Well, she fell desperately in love with W. G. Stanton, former child hood sweetheart and beauty shop operator here, who read of her troubles and offered to aid her destitute family. Mary and Stanton plan to be married Dec. 28. There will be no cash consideration.

This same article was in multiple papers. I saw another from a Pennsylvania newspaper stating that she entered an auction, but someone else undercut her and was selling her hand in marriage for only $5000.

Don't you just love that we can see old newspapers and do research like that so easily? The internet is a wonderful thing!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, indeed! I looked in the book that came with the dvd set, and there is some more information. It references the story you found, and also the Stanton marriage—which seems to have fallen through Here is a photo—hope you can read it. (Excuse the dumbbells on side—had to weight it down.)
Attachments
IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG (2.5 MiB) Viewed 4077 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! What a cool DVD set you have with a book of info on it! I wonder if not all copies came with that book. A review on IMDB laments that they don't know anything about what happened to her according to the commentary. Thanks for sharing that with me. I love learning about "whatever happened to them".

donnie

Post by donnie »

:) My pleasure! Yes, those sets put out by National Film Preservation are very nice and have a lot of quirky, interesting things you can't find elsewhere. Unfortunately, they're pricey. They do put many of them on their site for free viewing. Here are some they have up now:
https://www.filmpreservation.org/preser ... ne-edition

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Cool!! Thank you! Will you post another page for me if I want to know more about a subject?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, be happy to if I have that one.