Magazine Ads

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Magazine Ads

Post by Kitty »

I want what he's having. Then again, maybe not.
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_1063~01.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_1063~01.jpg (172.41 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

An update on Cleo Ridgely's ride across America with her husband. This is from the January 1913 edition of Motion Picture Story Magazine.
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_1067.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_1067.jpg (150.29 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Never wear out? Sign me up!
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_1088.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_1088.jpg (135.18 KiB) Viewed 4046 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:23 pm
This one caught my eye. You don't (I mean, I don't) really think about the fact that they would have needed this obvious aid for the film projection.
I like this ad. I wonder what they by "if it chills"?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:41 pm
How about this one? All this guy (if it really is him) succeeds to do is creep me out with his unsettling stare. "Write at once while you are sure to get a copy." Yeah, before the law gets him on false advertising and swindling.
The cover looks a little on the lecherous side as well. :?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:52 pm
Man, that one is quite interesting! Wonder what's in them wafers?? Whatever it is, it certainly seems to have done something for the guy in the illustration—though I'm not sure exactly what... Wouldn't it be interesting to see a list of the actual ingredients in all these nostrums? There's no telling what they put in those things.

I guess this is Kelloggs, the cereal company? It's in Battle Creek.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:40 pm
Kitty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:52 pm
Man, that one is quite interesting! Wonder what's in them wafers?? Whatever it is, it certainly seems to have done something for the guy in the illustration—though I'm not sure exactly what... Wouldn't it be interesting to see a list of the actual ingredients in all these nostrums? There's no telling what they put in those things.

I guess this is Kelloggs, the cereal company? It's in Battle Creek.
I just looked it up, and the Kellogg named here was Frank Kellogg, and not related to the famous cereal company. I think that was his angle, though. Also, there are many records I have no idea what was in those sanitone wafers. Something dangerous, probably! I will say that a quick search for sanitone comes up a lot of info about dry cleaning methods :shock: ick and double ick!
He, like many other schemes that were advertised in magazines were exposed as frauds, and there are many records of his getting into trouble because of this.
https://ceb.nlm.nih.gov/fdanj/items-by- ... one+Wafers

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here's what looks like it would be an interesting book dealing with Kellogg and his products. Unfortunately, the text isn't available online (well, at least not in Google books, and I doubt elsewhere).
https://books.google.com/books/about/Th ... teHQAACAAJ
Edit: actually looks like more of a short pamphlet (5 pages, apparently).

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Not from a magazine, but I saw this on the wall at a local BBQ place. Pretty cool!
Attachments
Screenshot_20171218-203415.png
Screenshot_20171218-203415.png (3.74 MiB) Viewed 3977 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Coca-Cola has had a lot of attractive ads throughout their history.