Silent Photoplay Poetry Challenge

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Re: Silent Photoplay Poetry Challenge

Post by Kitty »

Well, I filled in all the blanks. What do you think? I tried to stay true to what you had with a few minor adjustments.

S ilver magic on a screen...
I sn't it a lovely scene?...
L aughter and hijinks without end...
E scape into a nicer world and then...
N everending youth, men who are gallant...
T rue love and surprising talent

P retty maids, and silly girls...
H opping madmen, the mustache curls...
O pening into a forgotten world...
T imes and a places, such a dreamworld...
O asis in the midst of turmoil...
P rimitive fragments of reality & evil to foil...
L iving connection to the past...
A nd what's left forever to last...
Y es, it spells SilentPhotoplay.
.....Won't you come in here to stay?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

WOW!! That is marvelous! I really like the imagery you added, and also the way it captures the world of silent films so completely.

You really have some skill at this. I did the right thing by giving my bits and pieces to a pro. It's too bad this can't be published somewhere. If it were the olden days, it would have been a natural for one of the magazines, wouldn't it?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

So true! Well, I'll publish it on my blog. At least that's something! 😃
Thank you. I like writing :)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

Oh my GOODNESS, that is wonderful! You've captured the magic of Lillian on the screen perfectly! That curious blend of resolve and strength on the one hand and fragility and vulnerability on the other hand, all enwrapped in that otherworldly beauty...you caught all that. "A gentle beauty in a silent world..." indeed.

The concrete imagery you chose in the first two stanzas seems just right for descriptors of her nature. But my favorite part is the last seven lines, and especially "White and gold...unpinned!" Such a picture!

You should definitely do more of these. You really have a gift for distilling the essence of a persona on the screen. You know, when you run across a poem and it makes you understand things you knew and felt, but were never really conscious of on the surface...you know you're reading some well-written poetry. ;)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

My GOD Betty, I had no idea you wrote poetry! You've put tears in my eyes! This is directly on par with the fans of the day that would write poetry and send in to magazines. I'm sure this one would be selected to publish in Motion Picture Story.

I love the weight of some of the lines, especially the imagery of her hair. And I so love the way your questions are posed.

I agree with Donnie. Can you hear the fanfare? More! More!

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Thank you all so much!! I'm so happy you guys loved that poem. I usually don't share my poetry much. Donnie, I'm so glad I could capture Lillian's essence in those lines, and Kitty, it's such a compliment that you think this could be published in a contemporary fan magazine! I'm literally blushing and cannot stop smiling...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 2319 times

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ooooo! That one has a lovely classic bounce to it. You're really good.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Ah, that's Joby to a tee! :he: Another good one & wonderfully imaginative!—there's a new surprise, a new angle in every line. :) I like the creative ways you bring out the depth of her empathetic nature—I think that's really where the magic lies in so many of the Lloyd films and what elevates them beyond just physical comedy. Don't you think?

Now the line that's going to stick in my mind is "Strawberry jam and the bleats of a lamb..." :)