Mister Rogers on The Tonight Show

Let's talk interviews!
Kitty

Mister Rogers on The Tonight Show

Post by Kitty »

This is a really neat interview from 1983. First of all, I'd like to say that it is such a weird fact to me that Joan Rivers was the host of the Tonight Show. She's really so dumb in this, kind of embarrassing, I have to say. Mr. Rogers is great, though!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Kp5YeqrlE
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Mister Rogers on The Tonight Show

Post by donnie »

That's great! Yes, Joan Rivers is probably not the best person to be interviewing him—her caustic style of humor is kind of an uncomfortable fit with his sincerity and gentleness, though he handles it well. And the audience tittering kind of irritated me until he addressed that later. But it is nice to see him on the Tonight Show.

I also liked the way Joan melted in reaction to the song. Who wouldn't melt? :D It has been awhile since I've heard that, and you know, those words really give us all something to think about.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It's really something that his simple words can affect someone even as an adult. Songs like "I like to be told", I still like to be told how things will be when I go to new or unfamiliar places! The things he addresses on the show make me put myself in a child's shoes and gives me great perspective on what a kid might be thinking when they experience something that we don't even think about as adults.
And I don't mind admitting that I always tear up when I see him sing. It just makes me so happy.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 am
IThe things he addresses on the show make me put myself in a child's shoes and gives me great perspective on what a kid might be thinking when they experience something that we don't even think about as adults.
Well put. He just had an unique way of understanding what goes on in a child's mind and a unique ability to convey it in such a way that it's meaningful to adults as well.