Vintage Photos at Random

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Vintage Photos at Random

Post by Kitty »

I may get pummelled by Hendrix fans, but I think he is overrated today. Janis Joplin is my girl, but I didn't get in to her music until last year. I think if you're not used to her wild voice, it can seem daunting at first to hear the gruffness. When I was younger my music tastes were soft rock like the Beatles and Jethro Tull and Crosby Stills and Nash. Just took me a while to realize the passion of her singing. Similar to Louis Armstrong. Many think he can't sing, while I find his songs beautiful and heartfelt.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, some of the greatest singers haven't necessarily been those with the most beautiful voices, in the usual sense. Armstrong is certainly one, maybe Carole King, Johnny Cash.

Yeah, with Janis Joplin, I'm certain there's a lot there that just doesn't resonate with me, but the fact that it does resonate with so many is proof there is indeed something there. (I hope that sentence makes more sense than I think it did. :roll:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It made perfect sense! Although I disagree with you on Carole King's voice. I think she has a really great voice. I love that whole album Tapestry. Every song on there was a hit, and I bet if you've heard a song of hers (unless you know all her songs) it probably was on that album.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Einstein posing for a painting!
Attachments
Screenshot_20171007-193104~01~01.png
Screenshot_20171007-193104~01~01.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 4145 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:18 pm
Although I disagree with you on Carole King's voice. I think she has a really great voice. I love that whole album Tapestry. Every song on there was a hit, and I bet if you've heard a song of hers (unless you know all her songs) it probably was on that album.
Yes, I used to have the Tapestry LP—a classic, indeed.

That's an interesting one of Einstein.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:33 pm
Yes, I used to have the Tapestry LP—a classic, indeed.

That's an interesting one of Einstein.
I'd love to have the actual record! I have it on CD.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

"This is a picture of a British veteran of the Napoleonic wars, posing with his wife. He can be seen wearing a campaign medal, commemorating the fact that he served in Spain. This photograph was taken in 1850, 35 years after the battle of Waterloo."

From Reddit:
[–]LaviniaBeddard
That's a General Service Medal for service in the Peninsula War 1809-1814. It was awarded somewhat late in 1848!
Above the disc of the actual medal were "clasps" which were silver bars for each major battle in which the recipient had fought. This chap looks like he has five clasps (typically, for example, they might be "Badajoz", "Vittoria", "Nive", "Nivelle", "Toulouse").
He probably wasn't at Waterloo or he'd presumably be wearing that (even more prestigious) medal too.
Attachments
JPRfmhoSwgKvHG02tqSJgUZYqYoRBScihTbFLuOBd74.jpg
JPRfmhoSwgKvHG02tqSJgUZYqYoRBScihTbFLuOBd74.jpg (114.42 KiB) Viewed 4135 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Fascinating...and a rather creepy photo!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

30826u.preview.jpg
30826u.preview.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
October 1917. Washington, D.C. "Knickerbocker Theatre." Harry Crandall's new Knickerbocker cinema at Columbia Road and 18th Street N.W. opened on October 13, 1917, with the historical drama "Betsy Ross," and an appearance by its star, Alice Brady. Less than five years later, 98 moviegoers were killed here when the roof caved in under an accumulation of snow during a blizzard.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/5701

donnie

Post by donnie »

:o Awful! Nice photo, though.