Robin Hood Clips Commentary

This is the home for vintage newsreels and documentaries.
Kitty

Robin Hood Clips Commentary

Post by Kitty »

While searching the 1912 version of Robin Hood, this popped up on YouTube! Very interesting little commentary. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/zIN-6R258tc
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Robin Hood Clips Commentary

Post by donnie »

That was actually about the first Douglas Fairbanks footage I've actually seen (except maybe some snippets on the Hollywood series). I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen one of his features; I guess the subject matter of those movies doesn't appeal to me as much, although I'm sure they're good. He did have some amazing athletic skills, that's for sure.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I don't think I've seen any feature length films he was in. Did you see the footage of Mary Pickford's cousin's wedding? He was in that horsing around with everyone. It's a fantastic home video, all too short. Totally cool.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes! I saw that. That is some fantastic footage.

That reminds me that in the early 30's, there were a series of shorts made purportedly showing movie stars at home in their daily lives. I found one of them and watched some of it because it had Jobyna Ralston in it. I liked her in the Harold Lloyd features I'd seen, and had always wondered what her voice sounded like.

I can't remember the name of those things. I'll try to see if I can locate that one—might be interesting to watch some more—though it's not as totally candid and unscripted as the Pickford wedding footage.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here it is. They called them "Hollywood on Parade". This one also has Mary Pickford and Bing Crosby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbBtefH1lyc (for some reason, can't get the video insertion tool to work).

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I did it for you. Will watch soon.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I've seen, I believe, five of Fairbanks' features. Enjoyed them all. Let's see, I've seen Robin Hood, The Thief of Bagdad, The Mark of Zorro, The Black Pirate, and The Three Musketeers. The last of these I probably enjoyed least, but it was interesting to see one of the musketeers played by Eugene Pallette, back when he was still slim enough to be an action hero.

The Black Pirate is cool because it's an early two-strip Technicolor and was filmed at the same time Mary Pickford was filming Sparrows. Mary makes an undetectable cameo in one shot as the heroine seen from the back.

The Mark of Zorro is kind of an essential part of Batman lore, because it's supposed to have been the movie young Bruce Wayne had just seen the night his parents were killed. You can see in the film where he gets the idea for the Batcave, and the neatest part is that in the early Batman serials Bruce has a secret exit from the cave through a grandfather clock -- exactly the way Zorro exits his secret lair.

The Thief of Bagdad I enjoyed most of all. Good fantasy and some great special effects for the time.

Can't say that much about Robin Hood. It was okay, but Errol Flynn's puts it to shame. (Can you believe Warner Brothers originally intended to cast James Cagney instead of Flynn?)

Fairbanks was a huge star during my grandfather's teenage years. Among his friends it was common to refer to him by the nearly-naughty Spoonerism "Fugless Darebanks."
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I guess I forgot that Fairbanks was in Mark of Zorro and The Three Musketeers. I've seen both. I remember really loving Zorro.
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:41 pm
The Mark of Zorro is kind of an essential part of Batman lore, because it's supposed to have been the movie young Bruce Wayne had just seen the night his parents were killed. You can see in the film where he gets the idea for the Batcave, and the neatest part is that in the early Batman serials Bruce has a secret exit from the cave through a grandfather clock -- exactly the way Zorro exits his secret lair.
I knew about the Batman/Zorro connection, but I didn't know that last part.
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Can't say that much about Robin Hood. It was okay, but Errol Flynn's puts it to shame. (Can you believe Warner Brothers originally intended to cast James Cagney instead of Flynn?)
No, I cannot! Glad they used Erroll instead!
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Among his friends it was common to refer to him by the nearly-naughty Spoonerism "Fugless Darebanks."
Interesting!! You don't hear a lot of that kind of stuff.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I liked Thief of Bagdad, mostly because Anna Mae Wong was in it.

Crikey people, have you seen this little "gem". Only one word to describe it..ok three..mondo bizarro and unbelievable.

Coke Ennyday - The Mystery Of The Leaping Fish - 1916 Silent Film Starring Douglas Fairbanks and Bessie Love. Fairbanks as Coke Ennyday, a scientific detective with a huge drug habit who injects cocaine every chance he gets, he vibrates through the film looking "too" happy.

https://youtu.be/Wpx4ApT7-pk
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 am
I liked Thief of Bagdad, mostly because Anna Mae Wong was in it.

Crikey people, have you seen this little "gem". Only one word to describe it..ok three..mondo bizarro and unbelievable.

Coke Ennyday - The Mystery Of The Leaping Fish - 1916 Silent Film Starring Douglas Fairbanks and Bessie Love. Fairbanks as Coke Ennyday, a scientific detective with a huge drug habit who injects cocaine every chance he gets, he vibrates through the film looking "too" happy.

https://youtu.be/Wpx4ApT7-pk
That's pretty insane. I like it.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)