Favorite Old Songs

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: Favorite Old Songs

Post by Kitty »

Actually that's not the song I was thinking, but it does play. And I definitely laughed at the squash comment.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

There's another song that used to always be playing when I was on the cleaning aisle. I can't for the life of me think of the title or the artist. The title I think is a girl's name or has a girl's name in it. The singer sounds like a girl because of the high voice, but it is a male. The song is from many years ago—pretty catchy song, maybe I'll think of it.

The Basia song Cruisin' for a Bruisin' was always playing on the canned vegetable aisle, by the way. Although why you'd be interested in that information I have no idea. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:34 pm

The Basia song Cruisin' for a Bruisin' was always playing on the canned vegetable aisle, by the way. Although why you'd be interested in that information I have no idea. :lol:
Different songs would play in different aisles? I'm confused! :?:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, it just seemed to turn out that way most of the time. I'd guess I'd catch the loop at the same approximate place when I came into the store or something. I remembered the cleaning aisle song. It's Jackie Blue by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Pretty good song, actually. Although I have a strong urge to buy Chlorox when I hear it. Now I know how Pavlov's dog felt. :?

Edit: Original video missing. Here's a another. Good song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F-avYWMQGI
Last edited by donnie on Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Hahaha! :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I really like this one called 1919 Rag performed by Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band.

https://youtu.be/xSlJQbg0kqM

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

In the last half of my teens, when everyone else listened to the local pop station, I listened to the oldies pop station. This song played a lot. Since it's now football season, I keep getting the chorus of this song in my head. I listened to this song for the first time in years, and realized how bad it is, while still being a little fun. Backfield In Motion.

https://youtu.be/X4qJYUHLtuU

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: That is a fun one. Only now I think it's stuck in my head, too. :?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 pm
:lol: That is a fun one. Only now I think it's stuck in my head, too. :?
Oops! Sorry! 🤣

donnie

Post by donnie »

Have you ever run across Janet Klein? She is a California-based singer who specializes in performing and recording popular songs from the 20's—especially the more catchy, amusing, and spicy ones. Her singing may be an acquired taste, but I like her and have downloaded some of her albums. She has a great acoustic backup band consisting of musicians who specialize in old time performance styles, called the Parlor Boys. Here is one of their live performances. See if you like it.
Hello Bluebird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiU2lSOn5WY