1931 Hollywood - in color!

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
donnie

1931 Hollywood - in color!

Post by donnie »

I've posted this several times different places online, but I don't think so here yet. This is one of my all-time favorites. We get to take a color tour of Hollywood practically right at the tail end of the silent era (people like Chaplin, Swanson, Bessie Love were still current). And look at Hollywood Boulevard; it's amazing that all that came to be when just 30 years or less before it was nothing but cow pastures and fruit orchards.

I love the look and feel of this little short—the music, the announcer, the beautiful residential streets—never get tired of watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPT1K7s9lzo

Mrs. Danvers

Re: 1931 Hollywood - in color!

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

The cars, the cars, the cars. That's what I love and the clothes as well, but the cars. I want to go to The Brown Derby in my time machine dressed like Gloria Swanson.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh my! That video was way too short! It was cool seeing the big stars in color young. I so want to jump right into the screen and experience that wonderful time in history for myself.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 am
The cars, the cars, the cars. That's what I love and the clothes as well, but the cars. I want to go to The Brown Derby in my time machine dressed like Gloria Swanson.
Yes, I was out jogging this morning, and saw in a neighbor's driveway a couple of blocks away what looks to be about a 1928 Ford that he is apparently going to restore. Even though it was old and rusty, it was just such nice experience seeing that.
Kitty wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:57 am
Oh my! That video was way too short! It was cool seeing the big stars in color young. I so want to jump right into the screen and experience that wonderful time in history for myself.
Yes, isn't it a treat to see them in color?

My favorite part is actually the shady residential street about 2:00-2:30. I wish I could go back and live there. Those 3 kids playing in the yard—I wonder who they were and what ever happened to them. Ever think about things like that?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm
My favorite part is actually the shady residential street about 2:00-2:30. I wish I could go back and live there. Those 3 kids playing in the yard—I wonder who they were and what ever happened to them. Ever think about things like that?
Oh yeah! Definitely! Whenever I see things like that I will wonder about the people, also sometimes if I can see street signs or businesses I'll try to find out where the pictures were taken. Just the other day I saw a picture of a couple of people in full body art partying at Woodstock and wondered if the girl in full view was still around or remembered her picture being taken. The answers: Maybe, and probably not.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I knew your answer to that before I asked the question. :D I think your surmises are probably right regarding the Woodstock girl.

Awhile back, I got to wondering whether that statue in memory of Valentino in the film is still extant. It is, and is in a small neighborhood park that is now, sadly, in a rather rundown area of Los Angeles. :(

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Aww that's so sad. I'm hoping to visit California sometime, sooner than later I hope, and I'm going to map out all that kind of stuff to see old Hollywood.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm bumping this old favorite to the front again. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPT1K7s9lzo