Antique Books

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: Antique Books

Post by donnie »

Wow, that is interesting, isn't it. They didn't pull any punches with the emotionally charged language!

donnie

Post by donnie »

A page from one of my old Popular Science mags. This is from the February 1949 issue in the article "What You Want to Know about TV." The sets were really tiny then! The whole article is here on p. 114, if interested.
https://books.google.com/books?id=pCQDA ... &q&f=false
Attachments
PS Feb. 1949 .jpg
PS Feb. 1949 .jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 5233 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Awesome and very informative article! Thank you for sharing. I want to go out and buy a 1949 tv now, and feel I'm well prepared to do so! Keep 'em coming! 😃

It is so great to get an idea of sizes and costs, and I love the viewing distance recommendations. I have a much better understanding of how things were done back then now.

I like how they say 'TViewing'.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Did you see this article in that selfsame magazine on p 122? Interesting. New Ideas from the Inventors.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'd like to have one of those '49 TV's, too. I'll bet that was a neat experience, the family crowded excitedly around those little sets watching a blurry B&W picture—and probably enjoying it a lot more than people do now. Early TV is just so fascinating to me, for some reason.

Yes, the New Ideas from the Inventors was a regular monthly feature. Some of the ideas were pretty wacky and impractical, but others seemed pretty good. Every once in awhile you see one that actually came to be!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:31 pm
Every once in awhile you see one that actually came to be!
That's so cool.

donnie

Post by donnie »

They also had a monthly one page feature: Things I'd Like to See Them Make. Some of those came to be, also. In the 40's era, that feature was kind of goofy, mainly for comedy, but later on in the 50's and 60's the ideas were presented more seriously.

donnie

Post by donnie »

donnie

Post by donnie »

Another. Notice the one in the lower right. B.G. was ahead of his time, wasn't he?
https://books.google.com/books?id=LCEDA ... &q&f=false

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! It's amazing that sometimes they were spot on in their envisionment. (A word? Now it is! Hehe)