The Beatles

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

The Beatles

Post by Kitty »

My very first band that I liked was the Beatles when I was 12 or 13. Here is the strange music video from their equally strange film Magical Mystery Tour.

https://vimeo.com/21613269
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Beatles

Post by donnie »

Ah, the Fab Four. I kind of liked them more in their earlier days. I've heard this song, but never seen the video.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:14 pm
Ah, the Fab Four. I kind of liked them more in their earlier days. I've heard this song, but never seen the video.
I liked them in their earlier days, too. They were close to their roots then. I think their music got too polished as time wore on.... But that's not to say I don't like their later stuff! :)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:18 pm
donnie wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:14 pm
I liked them in their earlier days, too. They were close to their roots then. I think their music got too polished as time wore on.... But that's not to say I don't like their later stuff! :)
I read once that the Beatles returned to Liverpool in 1965, after having been famous for a couple of years, and played a gig at the Cavern Club, where they had always performed to their loyal local fans before they were discovered. They did some songs from their latest album (it would have been "Help!") which John Lennon introduced with an apology, like "Sorry the music's no good anymore."
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Interesting!

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I think John was getting a bit bored with music at that point, whereas Paul was just starting to feel his oats and beginning to transform (or transcend) the rock & roll genre with material like "Yesterday."
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've never heard that one—beautiful! Nice video, too!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:13 am
I've never heard that one—beautiful! Nice video, too!
It's on the White Album. That was George Harrison performing that one. His songs he did with the Beatles were always enjoyable. I'm glad you liked it!

donnie

Post by donnie »

That reminds me of another Beatles song I recently discovered that I'd missed somehow through the years. I really like this one, don't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l5L34VqzlU