From the Sears catalog...

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: From the Sears catalog...

Post by Kitty »

Cool. I wonder if you could go to a local eyeglass shop to get them adjusted if they didn't fit just right.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Er...no thanks. :shock:
Attachments
arsenic.jpg
arsenic.jpg (746.29 KiB) Viewed 4161 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That is very interesting. I wonder what "moth" is? This advertisement says that their treatments can cure it. Arsenic couldn't possibly do all the things it says it does. Also, obviously they knew that arsenic is poison, weird that they claimed this won't hurt you if you followed the directions. Furthermore, I'd like to see what these directions were!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

This may have been along the lines of a supposed homeopathic remedy. The theory is that a harmful substance in extremely small amounts will build up the body's natural defenses against a disorder, kind of the same principle that a vaccination is based on. I know homeopathy was a big thing in that era (and actually still is today). I don't know what the connection with arsenic and the skin was supposed to be, but the advertising copy makes it sound like there was a history of belief in it.

I can't find anything for "moth"; that's a mystery. :?:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes, homeopathy is a pseudoscience that has made a comeback in recent years. You're exactly right. This is a form of it. They probably instructed them to dilute an extremely small amount of the poison in lots of water. In doing so, it does nothing to you, good or bad, despite people believing it like a religion that it does good things for you. The bad thing about it, though, is people believe in these cure all fixes, but still are getting worse or dying because they shun other real forms of treatment.
Vaccinations are a different discussion. Those actually do protect against diseases.

Addition: I found an interesting interview with a guy who wrote a book about the history of arsenic. Here's the link. http://crosscut.com/2010/09/arsenic-victorians-secret/

donnie

Post by donnie »

Concerning homeopathy, yes vaccinations are legit, didn't mean to put them in the same basket with homeopathy—although, back some years ago I had a period where I thought there might be something to homeopathy. What made me interested: I had had severe problems with chronic sinusitis for years, and I read a testimony of one guy who had gone to a homeopathic practitioner, who gave him something that made his sinuses "pop open immediately." I thought...hmmm. I'd tried antibiotics, steroid sprays, herbs, finally surgery, so I thought, well...

I did buy and experiment with some remedies, and while most obviously did nothing, it seemed some worked to some extent—but what was probably happening was the placebo effect. At any rate, my sinuses never "popped open". :? Although the theory of homeopathy does sound logical (as a lot of things do), what I've read since then has convinced me there's probably nothing to it. With some of the levels that homeopathic remedies are diluted to, not even one molecule of the substance could be left. Then the defense is that yes, the substance is gone, but where the molecule was, a structure has been left in the liquid which has an effect...etc., etc.

No telling how much money was made on the placebo effect back in those days—heck, no telling how much is made *now* for that matter—and how many lives were harmed. That's why it's a blessing to have at least some protections so that there is at least some kind of limit as to what you can put in something and what you can claim.

Concerning the arsenic, I scanned through the article. That is most interesting! I had heard about the Paris Green before. That was bad stuff. I know it was still used in small amounts by artists doing oil painting up until well into the 20th century. It was supposed to have had a brilliance that is hard to duplicate with any other green pigment.

The Sears Arsenic item was in the form of "wafers" so I guess the directions gave you specific information about how many wafers to eat per day or something. Oh brother. :shock: :?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Interesting testimony! Thanks for sharing. Yes, nowadays they still do the same thing, except they have to be crafty in how the claims are worded. People haven't changed, though, consumers or companies.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Insecticide next to the teething rings...maybe not the best organization. :?
Attachments
insecticide, teething rings.jpg
insecticide, teething rings.jpg (537.08 KiB) Viewed 4154 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:lol: I do like that name though and the logo, too. "Strangle Food". I do have a hard time believing that bug killer is "harmless to man, beast or bird", though.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 9:38 am
That is very interesting. I wonder what "moth" is? This advertisement says that their treatments can cure it.
After extensive research: :D

moth patch - an older term for an area of skin affected by chloasma (mask of pregnancy), which has a range of discolouration—from yellow to black—and which was fancifully likened to the surface of a moth.

- Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc

(I also had to look up "mask of pregnancy".)