From the Sears catalog...

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

From the Sears catalog...

Post by donnie »

I made this thread to post some bits from old Sears catalogs (original or reproductions) that I think are interesting, hope some others will find them so, too. :)

These are from the 1902 reproduction.
Attachments
talking machines 1.jpg
talking machines 1.jpg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 4543 times
talking machines 2.jpg
talking machines 2.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 4543 times

donnie

Re: From the Sears catalog...

Post by donnie »

Sears used some interesting sales techniques. When is the last time you saw a company admitting a product it is selling is "positively no good"?
Attachments
hammers.jpg
hammers.jpg (224.63 KiB) Viewed 4539 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! That last one is a weird marketing technique. :lol:
Also, I have never heard of the graphophone.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 9:39 pm
Wow! That last one is a weird marketing technique. :lol:
Also, I have never heard of the graphophone.
I don't think I've heard that term, either, come to think of it. I think the hammer thing was maybe an attempt to convince distrustful customers how much the company had their welfare at heart. Of course if they were really sincere about wanting to keep them instead of give them to customers...uh, wouldn't they just leave them out of the catalog. ;)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Interestingly, that seemed to be a big thing in those early catalogs—convincing customers that the company was solid, large, and trustworthy. A lot of space is given to statements by banks about the company's reputation, etc. I guess in that day of keeping-your-cash-in-the-mattress savings, people tended to be skeptical about buying sight unseen. Here is a bank reference and a sample order blank showing customers an example of how it was to be filled out.
Attachments
order blank.jpg
order blank.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 4534 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's pretty cool. Don't you wish those were current prices? :D
I know they don't give a full address on there in the example here, but it reminded me of the fact that so many full addresses were published in the magazines I am reading. Many full addresses of the fans are published with names included. Kind of cool for me, because I will sometimes use the wonder of Google maps to see what area those people lived in. Some are nice houses, some are very tiny apartments, and some just aren't there anymore. It's quite interesting.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, isn't it interesting to explore things like that? :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:03 am
Yes, isn't it interesting to explore things like that? :)
I love technology! I'm glad that info didn't make you think I was a creeper. :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:44 pm
I love technology! I'm glad that info didn't make you think I was a creeper. :lol:
:lol: Not at all, I have a lot of curiosity about obscure things like that, too.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Speaking of obscure things, 8-) I've noticed in the handwriting of that time period, they drop the stem of the 7 and 9 below the line. (See order blank above.) I guess that's what was taught in the cursive style of the time. I like the look of that.