Jumpin' for Joby: Jobyna Ralston Watch-fest

Watch-fests and Events
donnie

Re: Jumpin' for Joby: Jobyna Ralston Watch-fest

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:21 pm
This was an enjoyable comedy. For a long time it didn't seem like there was much advancement in the plot, however; the film seemed to mostly focus on mailman related shenanigans for a large chunk of the time and things didn't pick up until after the dance.
It's interesting you mention that. I thought that too, and I've noticed this actually seems to be a characteristic of many silent comedy feature films across the board. Even in the carefully made Harold Lloyd features, it seems to take awhile for the plot to really get going. If this was a pattern they deliberately followed, I wonder why? (This may be true of some dramas and shorts, too, but I can't think of any specific examples offhand.)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

:) Speaking of Harold Lloyd...

Here's our fourth and final film of the watch-fest: The Freshman (1925), in which Jobyna is Harold's leading lady.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AMTvRX7E7Ak

We'll have until next Monday night, August 3, to watch.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just watched Special Delivery. This film does not disappoint, and it is interesting throughout! The fact that it was an Eddie Cantor film was interesting to me, as I'd never seen him act. There's a cute song he performed called I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter which I love, and I was excited to watch him in a silent. I'd also never seen William Powell in a silent, so that was also a plus. There were a lot of funny parts and lines in this, which makes it an enjoyable film. I'd recommend this.
► Show Spoiler
Attachments
Selection_005.png
Selection_005.png (525.68 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Some responses:
► Show Spoiler
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I watched The Freshman. My comments are going to be all over the place, because I'm thinking of things as they come to mind.
► Show Spoiler
https://archive.org/details/movpicwor76 ... e+freshman
Selection_006.png
Selection_006.png (123.33 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
https://archive.org/details/movpicwor76 ... 1/mode/2up
Selection_007.png
Selection_007.png (382.1 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
https://archive.org/details/movpicwor76 ... 9/mode/2up
Selection_008.png
Selection_008.png (90.91 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

► Show Spoiler

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:25 pm
I just watched Special Delivery. This film does not disappoint, and it is interesting throughout!...
Glad you enjoyed it! :D
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I meant to add in my original review of Special Delivery the observation of the hat that Madge wore when she worked in the cafe. I wonder what the deal was with the wings on the hat? Nurses of the era also wore wings on their hats. The Flying Nun also wore wings on her hat, though that was in the 60s. It's definitely cute, but I wonder why the wings were even a thing.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am
I meant to add in my original review of Special Delivery the observation of the hat that Madge wore when she worked in the cafe. I wonder what the deal was with the wings on the hat? Nurses of the era also wore wings on their hats. The Flying Nun also wore wings on her hat, though that was in the 60s. It's definitely cute, but I wonder why the wings were even a thing.
The cafe she was working in was called the "Dutch Lunch", and they had the waitresses wear those because that hat is a part of the traditional Dutch women's costume. :) (I don't know if she had to wear wooden shoes or not. :lol: )
Attachments
netherlands-girls-costume-0113.jpg
netherlands-girls-costume-0113.jpg (131.52 KiB) Viewed 2637 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:03 pm
Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am
The cafe she was working in was called the "Dutch Lunch", and they had the waitresses wear those because that hat is a part of the traditional Dutch women's costume. :) (I don't know if she had to wear wooden shoes or not. :lol: )
Ohhh!!! Thanks for that explanation. That would be a nice silent film trivia question, "What was the name of the café that Eddie frequents in the 1927 film Special Delivery with Eddie Cantor and Jobyna Ralston?"

Hey, guys, I just found an interesting little tidbit about the baby in the film! She was Tiny Doll, who was actually part of the Doll Family. From Wikipedia:
"The Doll Family was an American quartet of sibling entertainers with dwarfism from Stolpen, Germany."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doll_Family

Oh, and also, Daisy Earles was part of that family, who may be best known as Frieda from the 1932 Tod Browning film Freaks.