Jumpin' for Joby: Jobyna Ralston Watch-fest

Watch-fests and Events
BettyLouSpence

Re: Jumpin' for Joby: Jobyna Ralston Watch-fest

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Here's film number three: Special Delivery (1927), a comedy where Jobyna is Eddie Cantor's leading lady in his second film (and final silent).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qB0v4AqNHZY

Since this upload has no score, open a new window for this link to Eddie Cantor's other silent film, Kid Boots (1926), and play it while watching Special Delivery; the score actually matches up with this pretty decently.

The visual quality is also, uh... not the best, to put it gently. But, beggars can't be choosers (as us silent film fans know all too well...).
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I watched The Three Must-Get-Theres. I tried to watch it weeks ago, but I was so tired that I kept falling asleep. I also didn't know anything about the film, including that it was a parody of The Three Musketeers until I saw that his name was Dart-In-Again. Then it hit me what the name of the film was all about. The first time I started it, I had no idea what was going on most of the time. This time it was a lot easier to watch.
Call me dumb, but I didn't catch any of the modern-day things that BettyLou pointed out, such as the phone bit and the sedan part. Maybe I forgot about it taking place in the past, so it didn't phase me. Not sure.

I, like Donnie, also didn't understand much of the plot. I think the missing title cards probably added much to the film. I also suspect that some footage is missing.

I was repulsed by the stroking of the bald man's head, the creepy face he made as the hand would go back, and the nasty hair plucking. Even thinking about it affects my gag reflex.

The parts with Joby are cute. I especially liked the shot from his angle where they are blowing kisses off the balcony.

I definitely saw some Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin in his acting (or, to correct myself, I see Max Linder in them). There were a lot of cute jokes in this, and that includes the sassy horse. I thought it was cute how sad the horse and cow were to part. (but what was the morphine thing? It went into slow motion for a moment, but did I miss something?) I liked his trickery in how he got into the castle. Was that a double, or the real Linder doing all of those stunts?

Not sure if this is true, but in the comments someone said they used the same sets as the Doug Fairbanks film. I can't seem to find any info on that in a simple Google search, though.

It was enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'd watch it again any time soon.
I guess some of the film would be more understandable if we watched the Fairbanks film it is parodying. A contemporary review said that it is a blow by blow parody of the film. It also pointed out that it lacked subtlety, which solidifies the thoughts that it was definitely a bold and purposefully outlandish farce.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:41 pm
I was repulsed by the stroking of the bald man's head, the creepy face he made as the hand would go back, and the nasty hair plucking. Even thinking about it affects my gag reflex.
Oh, I definitely get you there. The hair plucking part especially nearly triggered my gag reflex like you said. I actually don't know why I didn't mention it in my first post; maybe I just didn't want to think about it again, lol.
The parts with Joby are cute. I especially liked the shot from his angle where they are blowing kisses off the balcony.
Yes! Loved that part.
It was enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'd watch it again any time soon.
That's something we seem to all agree on about this film. There's a lot about it that I admire (the anachronisms, especially... oddly enough they reminded me of Blazing Saddles), but not something I would re-watch often.

donnie

Post by donnie »

My favorite anachronism was that one of the musicians was playing a saxophone. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:03 pm
My favorite anachronism was that one of the musicians was playing a saxophone. :lol:
The musicians parts were pretty funny.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Just finished Special Delivery. I enjoyed this one! It’s really an Eddie Cantor vehicle, and after seeing it, I can understand why he was so popular. Jobyna was very good in it, too. And thanks for the score suggestion!
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just watched Power of the Press. That was a really exciting movie! Here are my comments on all of your comments and other thoughts, as well.
► Show Spoiler

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

i just finished watching Special Delivery. Here are my thoughts and the usual commentary replies :)
► Show Spoiler

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:48 pm
I just watched Power of the Press. That was a really exciting movie! Here are my comments on all of your comments and other thoughts, as well.
Thought you'd like it! :D
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:00 am
Kitty wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:48 pm
One glaring problem in my eyes, though, is regarding the room that Marie is locked in. That door opened in so that means the hinges were inside the room. This also means that she'd have been able to sneak out at any point by taking the hinges off. I only noticed this toward the end when one of them shot the doorknob off to get out of the room after she'd locked them in.
That's an amazing observation. I'd never have noticed that if I'd seen it a hundred times. :)
Thanks! I'm quite sure that theatergoers of the day wrote in with that complaint!

I really liked this movie. There is such a big world of silent film out there when you knock the walls down that contain the directors and actors that everyone always talks about. I'm finding this fact also true with old time radio, as well. There was so much more than Father Knows Best and Jack Benny, and while they were highly entertaining, the more obscure can be even more so. I know I'm on a tangent, so if you've read this far, congratulations.

tl;dr:
Good film, would recommend.