Colorizations

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
BettyLouSpence

Colorizations

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I'm really not sure where would be the best place for this thread, so I decided on the Games and Fun section. If you feel this thread is better suited somewhere else feel free to move it Kitty!

I haven't colorized anything in a long time, so I did my first "serious" attempt last night. This is the finished picture. It's Clara Bow at her home circa 1930:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (462.06 KiB) Viewed 2524 times

If anyone wants to post their own colorization attempts, feel free to :)
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Re: Colorizations

Post by donnie »

That's really nice work! Post some more.

Can you tell me what software you use? I've often thought I'd like to try experimenting with this, but really wouldn't know where to begin.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I do colorizations on my tablet, on an app called ArtStudio. Sometimes I'll touch up the finished picture in another app called ProCreate, but the touching up I do there is limited to blush, adding pink to the corners of eyes, etc., But again, only sometimes.

I'd like to try colorizing on a desktop. I'm satisfied with many results I've attained on my tablet, but it's very tricky to get the skintone to look as natural as possible. It'll be quite the learning curve for me using a mouse, however there are Wacom pads and such, and I think I have a similar drawing pad.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Clara Horton. Finished just now. Unfortunately the source image was low res.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 2508 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's fantastic. I especially like the hair, skin tones (amazing!), and background of the upper left.

Is the pad you use an iPad? I use Macs and an iPad, but with photo and video editing, I mostly like to work on my desktop with a larger monitor. I'm usually more precise with a mouse than with my fingertips; but still a mouse is not ideal, either. I used to have a Wacom tablet, but never used it and donated a couple of years ago. I'm going to take a look at ArtStudio on my iPad (if that's available as an iOS app?)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! You are very talented! I really love the Clara Bow one - This is vintage magazine cover quality. Just beautiful.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:22 am
That's fantastic. I especially like the hair, skin tones (amazing!), and background of the upper left.

Is the pad you use an iPad? I use Macs and an iPad, but with photo and video editing, I mostly like to work on my desktop with a larger monitor. I'm usually more precise with a mouse than with my fingertips; but still a mouse is not ideal, either. I used to have a Wacom tablet, but never used it and donated a couple of years ago. I'm going to take a look at ArtStudio on my iPad (if that's available as an iOS app?)
Yep! It's an iPad Pro, and I use an Apple Pencil as a stylus.

And yes, ArtStudio is available as an iOS app. There's an ArtStudio Pro, which costs $11.99, but I haven't purchased it. I'll read reviews on it though.
Last edited by BettyLouSpence on Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:57 pm
Wow! You are very talented! I really love the Clara Bow one - This is vintage magazine cover quality. Just beautiful.
Thank you!

donnie

Post by donnie »

In ArtStudio, is there a dedicated colorization tool (or automation that you can tweak), or do you apply the color manually along the lines of brushing with reduced opacity?

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:53 pm
In ArtStudio, is there a dedicated colorization tool (or automation that you can tweak), or do you apply the color manually along the lines of brushing with reduced opacity?
Ok, so what I do after importing the B&W image onto its own layer, is make a copy of the B&W layer and I go to Adjust > Color Balance. Then I mess around with the red, green, and blue sliders. After changing the layers color, I erase everything I don't want to be that color, adjusting my eraser's opacity and size as needed.

I try and get the color "right" the first time, because if I apply, adjust and apply, adjust and apply, etc. a lot of the depth and shading is lost. And if a color comes out too garish looking I'll go to Adjust > Hue/Saturation/Lightness, and lower the saturation.