Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

Post by donnie »

Here's an odd one. I was wondering what in the world could be its purpose, and also what any of the plot could have to do with hearing loss. Then I realized that maybe it's a film intended to help deaf children learn lip-reading skills? That might explain some of the uneventful script and really wooden acting. But if that's so, why would there be some long shots of the characters speaking in profile where their mouths cannot be clearly seen?

Barbara's New Shoes (1955)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNq5VXWEG8

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That was an interesting video. It sounded like a spoken version of a Dick and Jane text, with the full sentences and proper language.
You're right in saying that its purpose is to teach lip reading skills. I wonder if there was a text with this, so that they could compare words and mouth movements? Maybe not, but I think there are enough close-ups that this could be effective in teaching what they're trying to teach.
Thanks for sharing. Never saw one like this!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:45 pm
That was an interesting video. It sounded like a spoken version of a Dick and Jane text, with the full sentences and proper language.
You're right in saying that its purpose is to teach lip reading skills. I wonder if there was a text with this, so that they could compare words and mouth movements? Maybe not, but I think there are enough close-ups that this could be effective in teaching what they're trying to teach.
Thanks for sharing. Never saw one like this!
It does sound like Dick and Jane. :D Probably this would have been shown in a class setting with a projector showing the film on a larger screen, so lip movements in the long shots might have been more obvious than they are on YouTube.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Apparently they were still making some silent shorts in 1931. The part where she’s cleaning her comb and brush could probably have used a little editing. :) I wonder what her mother is doing at 0:57?

Keeping The Hair Clean (1931)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I94MzamgsG8

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:10 am
Apparently they were still making some silent shorts in 1931.

Keeping The Hair Clean (1931)
This is great! I bet the kids in schools groaned a whole lot when they were shown a silent film in 1931.
donnie wrote:
The part where she’s cleaning her comb and brush could probably have used a little editing. :)
I wonder what kind of brush that was that she had to use bar soap on it? She would definitely have to rinse that thing out really well. I guess they didn't wash their hair as much as we do now, so they had to clean it this way. My brush cleaning is only to the extent that I always pull the hair out of it every time I brush.
donnie wrote:
I wonder what her mother is doing at 0:57?
I can't figure it out, unless she is doing some pre-conditioning thing.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:18 pm
This is great! I bet the kids in schools groaned a whole lot when they were shown a silent film in 1931.

I guess they didn't wash their hair as much as we do now, so they had to clean it this way.
In some cases they might have seen only silents, as I understand in a lot of rural areas, theatres actually weren't wired for sound until well into the '30's. I remember seeing a discussion about that one time on Nitrateville. Although this was in Buffalo, NY, so they were probably used to sound films there.

According to my '20's book on good manners (a really interesting thing to read; did I ever send you the pdf of that?), this was the recommendation:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 3.49.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 3.49.07 PM.png (37.71 KiB) Viewed 5784 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I don't think you've sent that. That's cool!!

donnie

Post by donnie »

This was a pretty good one, though I thought the nightmare portion lasted a little long. :)
I'd like to know the names of the players, but their names don't seem to be listed anywhere, even on iMDB, so I guess they are lost to antiquity. :?

Duties of a Secretary, 1947.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfFY_jQY4ZY

donnie

Post by donnie »

Another pretty good one. The courtesy class in the stockroom is not very realistic, but fun to watch. :) I've not been able to find out the date on this—late '40's—early '50's?

Telephone Courtesy - American Telephone and Telegraph Co. Bell System - 24:10, date unknown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgp72EGg4wA

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 pm
Duties of a Secretary, 1947.
The first thing I noticed was the pretty music in the beginning, and then I also noticed the way she said 'turn' the first time. It sounded like she said 'toyn', kind of like Joe Pesci. :lol:

I want to know what she should 'always be sure to...' do, but damage in the track cut it out. :x

I love that her trainer looks as if she's going for the award of proudest teacher.

When she is typing up the dictation, I love how the typewriter flows. Oh, I know all typewriters work that way.... But I just liked the look of this one. I think I'd have liked to be a typist.

The old lady who comes in so oddly, inquiring if Mr. Harmon was in reminded me of The Phantom of the Opera when he is first unmasked. :lol: She must have been a silent film actress or something.

I didn't know what was going on in that long, dark shot when she left the office. I figured it out when in real life she takes a short look at the safe and jiggles the handle.

It sure seems to me that the secretary is the backbone of the business. A good one was very important for success.

Hmm, I have never worked with a normal typewriter, only an electric one, so I'm wondering what the knobs are that she turns before typing? Does it tighten something?

Ok, I know that Mr. Harmon didn't mean anything by it, but it seemed cringy when he said "and I don't really bite little girls' heads off when they ask questions."
Come on, it's one thing calling her a kid, because that's what she is to him, but little girl?

I love the emphasis on not judging a book by its cover, although not put into so many words.

It might sound kind of snotty, but... It must be nice not to have any coworkers. :lol:

That was a really charming film. I thought the secretary was adorable. I hope you liked my running commentary! :D