78 rpm music

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: 78s Collection

Post by Kitty »

Here's a nice one called Amour - Wayne King. I don't know what kind of music you'd call this -- samba, foxtrot, etc. -- but I love it.

https://youtu.be/Zghry8Kv6J0
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That is a nice one, indeed. I don't which kind of dance that is, either, but it's definitely dance music. Very nice singing in this one, too.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Away Out On the Mountain - Frank Marvin.

Some good old fashioned country music with yodelling.

https://youtu.be/SkR5s2rYye8
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This one is sad and beautiful, called Beautiful Brown Eyes sting by Rosemary Clooney.
https://youtu.be/_PUAnbCweV4

donnie

Post by donnie »

The Frank Marvin number is a great example of what country music used to sound like, and how much it has changed. His voice sounds a lot like that of Hank Williams, Sr. (or vice versa).

The Rosemary Clooney one is nice, though the tempo seems a little draggy to me. I think this is actually the first time I've heard this famous singer's voice.

Thanks for posting these!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This one is so funny! I love those fun and silly songs they used to have! Here are the lyrics. I think I have them all right, except MAYBE a word or two during the speaking part. The tune is really fun and catchy. I wish someone would record this again! This is called Boss O' Th' Hoose by Harry Lauder. This is from the year 1924 or before, as there was a publication entitled "Francis and Day's 5th Album of Harry Lauder's Popular Songs", sheet music published in the year 1924.

https://youtu.be/7cMCbSstvhw

I’m feeling so glad
When I ought to be sad.
Yes, I ought to be sad, but I’m glad.
I married, I did,
When I was a kid,
Then I was so sorry I ever did.
But I had contracted to love her,
and loving’s a difficult thing.
But since she’s at rest with the rest of the best,
I’m telling the truth when I say.

If ever I marry again...
If ever I marry again...
She must be just about 23,
Fresh as a daisy and crazy for me,
With tons and tons of money,
And never cause me pain...
And I must be the boss of the hoose,
If ever I marry again.

The essence of life is a jewel of a wife.
If she isn’t a jewel then it’s strife!
It’s terrible tough if your angel is rough.
I know because I’ve had more than enough.
‘Cause you see I married a widow,
And a widow’s a woman who knows.
She’s fly and she’s shy, and between you and I,
They know the way every wind blows…

I tell you if ever I marry again, if ever, if ever...You know I’m just a simple country joiner chap, you know, Rob Miller. I’ve had to go through the mill. I’ve often wondered if that’s how I’ve had to go through the mill, because my name is Rob Miller.
Oh, my….
My mother used to call me Robert...Robert.
I wish you coulda heard some of the names my late wife used to call me, and I wish you coulda heard some of the names I used to think about calling her. But we’ll leave my late wife’s name out of the conversation. We’ll let sleeping dogs lie. I wouldn’t be a gentleman anyway, if I condescended to talk about a woman, especially my late wife, and she not here to defend herself. The things you could always do and didn’t do. You know she never argued, she just said do this or that then struck... and she could strike! But I tell you it’s all for days for me now, cuz sure as I’m standing here….

If ever I marry again...
If ever I marry again...
If ever I marry again.

If ever I marry again...
If ever I marry again...
If ever I marry again.

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: Lots of luck with that, fella. And lots of luck to the 23-year-old he marries, too. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's Frank Crumit with Gay Cabellero. Dick Cavett said this was the first record he ever heard.

https://youtu.be/BpZm8w7X0ak

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: That's a great one! That does sound like something that would have been up Dick Cavett's alley.

The singer seems to have his nationalities scrambled, however. He uses Spanish words (including "caballero," which he mispronounces, and which is a Mexican or Spanish gentleman), but then purports to come from Rio de Janeiro, which is in Portuguese-speaking Brazil. And then he later claims to have an Argentine style. Which is it, dude? :lol:

All of which makes no difference, I guess. Fun song. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:21 pm

The singer seems to have his nationalities scrambled, however. He uses Spanish words (including "caballero," which he mispronounces, and which is a Mexican or Spanish gentleman), but then purports to come from Rio de Janeiro, which is in Portuguese-speaking Brazil. And then he later claims to have an Argentine style. Which is it, dude? :lol:
Isn't that funny? I guess it's part of a joke. Someone mentioned those 'mistakes' in the comments. It makes me love the song more.