Jack Parr Is Alive and Well

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

Jack Parr Is Alive and Well

Post by Kitty »

I'm watching this right now. Very interesting footage is here.

Edit: That Phil Donahue joke aged like milk.

Edit: It's amazing the job that was expected of phone operators back then.

Edit: That Elaine May lady was very beautiful. Also - she is a genius.

Also edit: I wish it was ok to talk to customers the way the operator does!!! Hahaha

https://youtu.be/YHmT8besykg
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Jack Parr Is Alive and Well

Post by donnie »

I really enjoyed watching this! I had some acquaintance with Jack Paar, but this is the first entire show I've ever watched with him, and I can understand why he was so well-liked. (But yes, that Donahue joke wasn't one of his best moments. :? )

Debbie Reynolds is always a pleasure to see—such a talented and funny lady. I was not familiar at all with Jackie Mason. He is really funny. He had almost the same kind of ready wit as Jonathan Winters—I think you could just let him loose and he could do a whole 60 minute show off the cuff. :)

The Mike Nichols and Elaine May routine was very funny, also. Elaine May is the perfect irritating operator. "...your deem will be reTURNED to you when you hing up..." :lol: Her routine reminds me a lot of Lily Tomlin. I wonder she was an inspiration for Lily's Ernestine character.

Kitty

Re: Jack Parr Is Alive and Well

Post by Kitty »

This, other than a couple interviews on Johnny Carson, was also my first time seeing Jack Parr. It was very interesting. I'd love to see full episodes of The Tonight Show from that era.
I saw Lily Tomlin on Johnny Carson once. She seems really talented. I haven't seen much of her other than that, although I definitely recognized her.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)