The Couple Next Door

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: The Couple Next Door

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:14 pm
Yes, that was a funny one—though I knew what was going to happen. :)
I suspected, too, although at first I thought they used it to death or gave it away or something. I thought that was why they gave them such a hard time about giving it back. This is a followup episode to another previous episode where they called the first time about it.

It was hilarious when the wife spelled out what the husband had done. He literally went into another person's house and stole a nasty old baby bed :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

On some episodes, before the show starts, you can hear them sort of getting ready for the recording. It's hard to explain, so listen to the beginning of this recording before the show officially starts.

http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library% ... sework.mp3
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Interesting...I always like to hear the behind the scenes stuff like that. I wonder how those bits got left in the recording that is online.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:23 pm
Interesting...I always like to hear the behind the scenes stuff like that. I wonder how those bits got left in the recording that is online.
I think they're master recordings. I love it!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I listened to an episode today where they are planning a party for Betsy's birthday, and the father mentions a bunch of games he played when he was a kid. Of course, Betsy has never heard of any of the games he suggested. I'd heard of most of them, except one that stood out to me was one called Lemonade. Never heard of that one.
The main reason I brought this one up was that I learned something new listening to this episode.
You know how kids call out "Olly Olly Oxen Free" or something to that effect to indicate that the game is over and you can gather up again?
I was shocked to learn that it is derived from a phrase "All ye, all ye, outs in free" meaning that everyone is free to come out now. I looked it up, and it's true!

Here's the episode if you'd like to hear the other games he rattles off.
http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library% ... 0Party.mp3

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's really interesting. :) I'd heard that phrase but never knew what it meant. There are a lot of kids' phrases I've heard that I never understood. One that comes to mind I used to wonder about is at the beginning of the theme song of the '70's sitcom Laverne and Shirley. Did you ever see episodes of that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=89&v=bJzF8_df1R8

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I used to like that show!

I actually thought they were being silly, and never thought it was a kids' phrase.
That reminds me of this clip. :D

https://youtu.be/sdulIKhCC3Y

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I may or may not have known this before, but this interesting tidbit was in this show today.

The Christmas carol "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" is often misunderstood to be "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" with the comma in the wrong place. The address is to the gentlemen not to the merry gentlemen. I kinda find that an interesting thought.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Another cool behind the scenes. The announcer says September 8th, the broadcast date of this show, is his daughter's birthday! 😄

http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library% ... 20Pack.mp3

Kitty

Post by Kitty »