Great Cartoons

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
donnie

Re: Great Cartoons

Post by donnie »

:lol: That's a pretty good one. I had an uncle who really was that superstitious. He used to go into conniptions if anyone put a hat on the bed.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:20 pm
:lol: That's a pretty good one. I had an uncle who really was that superstitious. He used to go into conniptions if anyone put a hat on the bed.
Wow! It's interesting to hear about folk superstitions. Some weird ones out there!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

If Uncle Max was driving and saw a black cat, he would slam on brakes, jerk the car off the road, then take off his hat and spit in it. If he didn't have a hat on, he would spit in his hand and rub it through his hair. His brother was the same. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 pm
If Uncle Max was driving and saw a black cat, he would slam on brakes, jerk the car off the road, then take off his hat and spit in it. If he didn't have a hat on, he would spit in his hand and rub it through his hair. His brother was the same. :D
That... Is gross. :o :)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Wrong time of the year...but this cartoon just came to mind. This is a really nice one, beautiful story and animation. They don't make 'em like this anymore...
To Spring...Happy Harmonies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-RuBfKfPOk

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I enjoyed that! I had never seen it before. I love all the colors that were in it. That was a beautiful cartoon. I also like it when there are songs in cartoons. The songs are a forgotten type of media.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Glad you liked it! :D It's an old favorite of mine.
Kitty wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:31 pm
I also like it when there are songs in cartoons. The songs are a forgotten type of media.
Funny, I had never really thought about that until you mentioned it. That's so true—you hardly ever see one without it—and is a lot of what makes those cartoons special. It is a shame that this is a forgotten thing. And can you believe that audiences used to sing together in theatres as they followed the bouncing ball on the screen? Can you imagine that now?? :shock:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:02 pm
And can you believe that audiences used to sing together in theatres as they followed the bouncing ball on the screen? Can you imagine that now?? :shock:
I can't, although I would have loved it as a kid. They did they with Disney tapes in the 90s. I had a few sing-along tapes that I loved.

donnie

Post by donnie »

One of my favorite of the Ub Iwerks cartoons, Dick Whittington's Cat. (Not sure sure of the exact year, but early '30's. The music is great in this one, and you'll like the cat. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp55typelqY

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:31 pm
One of my favorite of the Ub Iwerks cartoons, Dick Whittington's Cat. (Not sure sure of the exact year, but early '30's. The music is great in this one, and you'll like the cat. :)
Nice one! I was googling to see what year exactly this was released, (1936), and discovered that this story is based in folklore, and has been told for centuries, about real life Dick Whittington and the story of how he became wealthy from the sale of his cat to a country infested by rats. There's no basis at all for the truth of the tale, as he didn't start out poor at all, and there's no real evidence that he even had a cat. The stories came over a hundred years after his death. I think this is a case of romanticising the historical figures of the past. Here's the wiki article if you're interested in reading more:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Wh ... nd_His_Cat

About the cartoon, 1930s cartoons seem to have a sort of otherworldly feeling to them, kind of a warm feeling, though I'm not sure how to explain it further than that. The cartoons reflect the times in that they often take place in poor conditions and reflect the worrying state of the world. For example, the little boy's boss probably did have that much control over him, as jobs were probably scant during that time.
You were right, I did like this one! :) Thanks for sharing!