Howdy Doody's Christmas (1951)

This is the section for live action kids' shows of Yesteryear.
donnie

Howdy Doody's Christmas (1951)

Post by donnie »

Ok, this one's kind of...unique. Tell me what you think. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdT4F9jt3ko

Kitty

Re: Howdy Doody's Christmas (1951)

Post by Kitty »

I'm not even sure where to start with this.

First of all, I didn't realize Clarabelle was a guy. And at first I thought ugly dan (I think that was his name) was an escaped convict until Bob (that's right, too, I think) was cordial with him. I was wondering why a criminal was out trying to capture another criminal 😂 And couldn't they have done something to actually make him ugly instead of making odd faces?

This is a fascinating look into early tv. I haven't seen much Howdy Doody, so this is a real oddity to me.

This is the weirdest Christmas thing I've ever seen, and I've seen Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny.

I wonder what it was that made Howdy Doody so popular? Do you have any insight on it's staying power?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:57 am
And at first I thought ugly dan (I think that was his name) was an escaped convict until Bob (that's right, too, I think) was cordial with him. I was wondering why a criminal was out trying to capture another criminal 😂 And couldn't they have done something to actually make him ugly instead of making odd faces?
Yes, that confused me, too. I mean, he had on a chain gang suit with the horizontal stripes, and was holding Santa Claus hostage. What would you assume? It was only later I realized he must be basically a good guy—and even then, I wasn't quite totally sure. And yes, the odd faces part was confusing, too.

One thing, the actor that played Dan was a natural for children's programming, though. His voice, mannerisms, etc., were almost like those of a cartoon character.

I was also confused why Clarabelle (yes, that is a feminine name :?: ) has a box on his stomach with his name on it.

I was also confused why Santa would be showing up only at midnight. Does he show up only at midnight all over the world? And when Clarabelle sets the clock ahead five minutes, why they would now think that's midnight and assume Santa Claus late, when it's actually only 11:55? Does Santa go by Clarabelle time? :)

Also, is Santa the only one at the North Pole workshop? Where were all the elves and Mrs. Claus while Dan is perpetrating this deed? Asleep, maybe??

My, my, so many questions. :lol: I guess you just have to be a kid and turn your adult brain off.
Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:57 am
I wonder what it was that made Howdy Doody so popular? Do you have any insight on it's staying power?
No, this was actually my first time watching Hoody Doody in action, and I was wondering the same thing. He seems more odd than lovable or funny, and I can imagine that as a child, I might have been frightened of him—or maybe not, I don't know.

I guess you had to be there at the time to see the appeal. Also, in the regular show, wasn't there a live audience of kids? If so, maybe the peer laughter and so forth would have added to it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:46 am
I was also confused why Santa would be showing up only at midnight.
That's common Santa lore. He comes at midnight.

An example of this popular idea is in the song Happy Holiday:

"It's the holiday season and whoop de do and dickory dock and don't forget to hang up your sock cuz just exactly at 12 o'clock he'll be coming down the chimney down"
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:14 pm
He comes at midnight.
:?: In that case, how does he appear everywhere at the same time? And how does that jive with the concept of him landing the reindeer at one house, going down the chimney to leave gifts, then leaving and proceeding onto the next, etc.? If he's everywhere at once, it must be a pretty quick trip. :)

Somehow, I'm suspecting there's not an answer for these questions. :? :)

But seriously, in Santa lore, is there any explanation for how that could be? Even as a child, I would have thought: but wait, how could....?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It's magic! I mean, how else would he bring presents to the whole world in one night?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:30 pm
It's magic! I mean, how else would he bring presents to the whole world in one night?
So how does this magic occur? Does he clone himself into multiple entities that can perform the same act simultaneously? Or does he manipulate time in some way? Or….

Hmmm… I don’t know, Kitty, I just don’t know. I’m going to have to do some serious thinking about this. :geek:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:37 pm
Hmmm… I don’t know, Kitty, I just don’t know. I’m going to have to do some serious thinking about this. :geek:
:lol: let me know what you come up with.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:33 pm
:lol: let me know what you come up with.
Ok! Here's what I came up with: Santa does not come at midnight, despite stories to the contrary, but at various times during the night to various places, and here's the proof from my phone screen last night.

So there, Mr. Howdy Doody gang!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 10.32.12 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 10.32.12 AM.png (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1205 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:lol: I hope he stopped at your house this year!! Did you get coal??? :lol: Merry Christmas!!