The Magic Clown

This is the section for live action kids' shows of Yesteryear.
donnie

The Magic Clown

Post by donnie »

Here for your viewing—uh—pleasure, from 1952: :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m82Yy-4TllI

Kitty

Re: The Magic Clown

Post by Kitty »

Wooow.... I have never seen anything like that!!! Was that bizarre or what? I get the strong feeling that the announcer really hates that candy.
What the heck was that?? Look at all those children being gross and stuffing their faces like never before. :lol: Yikes!!!
Must have been around the holidays; a couple of close-ups of the candies show a package with Santa on it.
I loved the part where he names all the stores that carry the product. I have to go back and listen again so I can Google whatever happened to each of them. I think the only one I recognized was Woolworth's.
I still am blown away by the look and demeanor of that clown. There is so much packed into that 15 minute episode, it's pretty unbelievable. How did you even find this?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:28 pm
Wooow.... I have never seen anything like that!!! Was that bizarre or what? I get the strong feeling that the announcer really hates that candy.
What the heck was that?? Look at all those children being gross and stuffing their faces like never before. :lol: Yikes!!!
Bizarre, all right. :shock: :) And we think things are commercialized today... On the candy, the announcer's voice said yes, but his facial expressions said no. :D They're sure chawing down on that taffy. Dentists are in the television audience rubbing their hands in anticipation. ;)
Kitty wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:28 pm
How did you even find this?
I don't know exactly how I ran across it. I was in one of my early television fixations (those tend to alternate with instructional film fixations :D ). I had been looking at some old station sign offs back when they used to go off the air late each evening, that sort of thing, and it just popped up.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Pretty cool! I read a little about The Magic Clown, and apparently some regard these shows as an early form of infomercial. 🙂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:35 pm
I wonder how they did that effect at the end, when they flipped the card to properly show the queen facewhile it was rising out of the slot?
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:51 pm
donnie wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:35 pm
I wonder how they did that effect at the end, when they flipped the card to properly show the queen facewhile it was rising out of the slot?
That’s the magic in the clown, I guess. ;)