Inigo Pipkin aka Pipkins

This is the section for live action kids' shows of Yesteryear.
Kitty

Inigo Pipkin aka Pipkins

Post by Kitty »

I first learned about this oddly endearing puppet show when I saw an article on Mental Floss about children's shows that will give you nightmares. Instead of finding these odd shows that they mentioned scary, I found them interesting!! Odd does not always mean creepy, people! :roll:
Inigo Pipkin was an English show that started in the 70s, and after the character the show was named after died, they renamed the show Pipkins, and the main human became Johnny, played by Wayne Laryea. He is well known in America for playing Harmony in The Bugaloos.
One of the show's main puppet characters was Hartley Hare, a puppet that looked like a well loved and well worn stuffed bunny that should have been repaired years ago. There was a pig, a tortoise, and a cat, too. Those are just some that I know about.
The show ran for years, and out of 333 episodes made, only 135 have survived due to taping over and neglect. Unfortunately there are only a couple episodes on YouTube to view. I want to see more!! I just love the clips I have seen.
Here is the 1976 opening. Check this cute show out! I want a Hartley Hare plush!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgLATfIa0VM
And here is an extract from an episode.
[edit: now a full episode, original video deleted]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuaLAGgeTx8&t=112s
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Inigo Pipkin aka Pipkins

Post by donnie »

I got a kick out of that! That’s a really cool little character and a unique looking show. I liked the dentist as well. :) Boy, Hartley is sure moth-eaten looking, though.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Isn't he? But I love his accent. He is hilarious. I wish I could watch more episodes. They released 4 DVDs but they are only UK versions. I can't find them anywhere online to watch. There are other clips. I'll post them here.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Unfortunately, the episodes and clips of Pipkins were taken off the Youtube channel that it was originally uploaded to due to copyright reasons. Really stinks.
[edit: replacements made]

donnie

Post by donnie »

:cry: That's too bad. That's why, when I see something I really want to keep access to, I usually download it and put it in my iTunes library (and then go on to forget I've got it in the mass of hundreds of video clips I've added...) :? Oh, well, it's fun to collect things anyway. :D

Speaking of YouTube and copyright, I now have two "strikes" against me because awhile back I had uploaded two of the Pete Smith Goofy Movies shorts from the 30's. They were originally on TCM and I had recorded them, and uploaded, thinking there might be some who would like to see them (and there were). This content was so old and obscure, I really didn't think anything about the copyright, to be honest. Why would anyone care? Well, Warner Bros. Entertainment did, I guess. They told YT to remove them.

I got irritated with myself because after they took off one of them I thought, maybe I better remove the other one, too. I thought I had, but apparently it was still there, for I got another strike a few days later. So I had to go to "copyright school" (which consisted of watching a 4 or 5 minute bizarrely silly video), and I'm ok for now, but if I get a third strike, my account will be permanently deleted. :(

I can't really complain, because the copyright law is there for a good reason, and I did upload something I guess I shouldn't have. But it just surprises me that something that out of the way is gone after, and really current popular stuff is uploaded by the thousands and they don't touch it. Go figure.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

You see, that is my problem with that copyright thing. I don't understand why something so obscure would be that big of an issue with the copyright owner. In both your case and this guy's case, you were uploading something that others wouldn't have been able to see otherwise.... No one who actually created those pieces of entertainment is getting any royalties from it. It's all about the ones who own the rights, which, frankly, means nothing to me at all. They are money grubbers. The people who created your videos you uploaded are long gone. The people who created Pipkins don't really seem to care at all, either, just the people who have the rights to put out the DVDs, (which aren't even available on American discs, by the way.). It's just frustrating. They're keeping from the public some important entertainment history. Can you imagine the things that are in vaults that the general public doesn't know about, and never will, all because of 'copyright' issues, or, even more horrific, they don't think it's important enough to release? (or, the lowest of the low, they won't make any money on it.) It seriously angers me. :rant over for now:

Oh, and you're right. I thought of it way too late that I could have downloaded them.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, if Warner Bros. had the Goofy Movies issued on dvd, that would be more understandable, but you'd think they'd overlook something they don't stand to make any revenue on. These folks that upload like whole seasons of TV shows that are currently for sale on dvd—I wonder how they get away with that?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I guess some companies are just more serious about what they own. :(

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

YAY! I found another episode of Pipkins, this one in full. Listen to the comment Hartley makes the first time Granny spits on her hands. This is exactly what I thought, and I found it hilarious that he said it. This episode doesn't have Johnny, unfortunately. I guess this is after he left. It's still a really cute episode, and I love this show... and Hartley Hare... even more! :) Someone recorded this with their camcorder, so it's not the best quality possible, but definitely watchable and very enjoyable. :)
https://youtu.be/WqYQi11QxRM

donnie

Post by donnie »

Nice episode. :) I couldn't understand what Hartley said after she spit in her hands.