The Singing Ringing Tree (1957)

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

The Singing Ringing Tree (1957)

Post by Kitty »

I just watched a really charming film from 1957 called The Singing Ringing Tree. It is based on one variation of a Grimm's fairy tale.

In this movie, a haughty princess orders a prince to find the singing ringing tree in order for her to agree to a courting, but in the end, she winds up finding herself instead. It is a beautiful movie with gorgeous colors, and is well worth the 71 minutes it takes to watch. You'll find yourself wanting to know more about fairyland.

It's in German, but if you click on the closed captions icon on YouTube, you can enjoy subtitles in English.

https://youtu.be/WhVFcy4ZMIg?si=0-8N8oZrwuj4J91L
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Singing Ringing Tree (1957)

Post by donnie »

I just finished watching this and really enjoyed it. :D I loved the colorful, surreal sets and the kind of metaphorical characters.
► Show Spoiler
Thanks for recommending it. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:52 pm
I just finished watching this and really enjoyed it. :D I loved the colorful, surreal sets and the kind of metaphorical characters.
► Show Spoiler
Thanks for recommending it. :)
I'm glad you liked it!!

Did you think
► Show Spoiler
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

► Show Spoiler
Kitty wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:55 am
I would have loved to seem more of this world.
Yes! Come to think of it, this would have been a good intro for a series, wouldn't it? I wish some more of these had been made.

I also enjoy watching things in a Germanic language like German or Swedish because it's interesting to see the similarities between that and English. (Like "Helfe! for "Help" :) )

And the music had traces of a kind of music you hear in some shows and movies from the '50s, especially that chromatic ascending clarinet theme here.

[/quote]

donnie

Post by donnie »

Another thought: It's interesting the prince/bear's special friendship with animals, and how the princess acquires the same. Is there any element or theme of that you've seen in your exploration of Grimm or other fairy tales?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:59 am
Another thought: It's interesting the prince/bear's special friendship with animals, and how the princess acquires the same. Is there any element or theme of that you've seen in your exploration of Grimm or other fairy tales?
I think it's a symbol of purity. A big example would be of the virgin princess being the only one who could lure a unicorn for capture. The unicorn would eventually come over and gently lay its head in her lap.

Sometimes the spirit of a dead loved one would embody itself in an animal such as a bird. See: The Juniper Tree. (Beware, this one is one of the most horrifying of all of the old fairy tales, but one of my very favorites.)

Animals were used in a great many ways in stories. It pretty astounding.