Roadhouse (1948)

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

Roadhouse (1948)

Post by Kitty »

I just got done watching Roadhouse (1948). Ida Lupino plays Susie, a singer/piano player, Cornel Wilde as Pete, and Richard Widmark as Jefty, two best friends who run a bar/bowling alley called Roadhouse.
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 pm
Oh me too, I hope you like Roadhouse especially Richard Widmark and chain smoking, ivory tickling chanteuse and not a bad bowler, Ida Lupino. Can't really remember how her bowling skills were, but she sure didn't have a clue what was appropriate attire for bowling.
Oh, my goodness, Roadhouse was loads better than the other movie, Born to Kill! I was on the edge of my seat! I liked it from beginning to end, and even Jefty,
► Show Spoiler
is fantastic
► Show Spoiler
. I love the way he laughs, so nutcasey with his tongue almost hanging out. I also loved that
► Show Spoiler
Ida has some bowling skills, too, as we realize that
► Show Spoiler
And as for the attire, I loved that she just wore what she felt like. She wasn't going to let a man tell her to wear slacks!
Especially in the beginning, it is so glaring how the men are slobbering all over her; it was kind of disgusting, but I think they were magnifying it more on purpose. The guy with the glasses is a gross-o, too. The only real flaw in the movie, in my opinion, is
► Show Spoiler
Is that Ida's real voice? If so, she's lovely! I'm glad that
► Show Spoiler
I also thought that Pete was kind of a
► Show Spoiler
But, no one is perfect!
I was yelling at the screen a good part of the time, particularly when Susie
► Show Spoiler
And when Lily
► Show Spoiler
By the way, why is the ink so wet when Pete writes his note? That's no ordinary fountain pen ink!
I also wondered what that sign was hanging on the inside of Lily's hotel door.
I also noticed that everyone's eyes are big and dark and glassy. Just beautiful!

Seriously, watch this film, guys, if you haven't! And then watch it again. It is extremely well made, the dialogue is good, and it is well acted. Everyone is great in this.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: Roadhouse (1948)

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I'm so elated you loved it. Now I'll have to order it again from the library, I can't remember as many details as you provide. I know something else that always is so memorable to me is Jefty's house decor.
► Show Spoiler
Ida's singing..
► Show Spoiler
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

► Show Spoiler
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:18 am
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!