The Set-Up (1949)

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

The Set-Up (1949)

Post by Kitty »

I just watched The Set-Up, directed by Robert Wise.

What a fantastic, exciting, tense film this is! I have not seen many film noirs, so I only discovered that this was one while I was reading about it afterward.

It's about a 35 year old loser boxer. His manager takes bribes from a mobster to ensure that the boxer loses the fight. Expected to lose, as he always does, the manager neglects to tell him any of this.

I'm not at all into boxing, but this film is so well made and directed, and the boxing scenes seemed pretty real. Oh, and it's real time, too, so it literally takes place within the length of the movie.

It's based on a 1928 book-length narrative poem by Joseph Moncure March.

A boxing movie sounds boring, but this is a really good movie. I enjoyed High Noon, but I enjoyed this one even more.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: The Set-Up (1949)

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Oh this is most excellent news Kitty. :D Robert Wise is a great director and he directed one the best, quintessential noirs, Born To Kill 1947, not to take away from The Set -Up, it's a corker too. Robert Ryan and Audrey Totter were in a lot of film noirs.

I don't want to tell you a darn thing about Born To Kill, because if you ever see it I don't want to spoil anything.

Robert Wise directed a few films for Val Lewton that are equally atmospheric, Curse of The Cat People 1944, springs to mind it's a real nourish creepy fantasy movie.

Seems like you like film noir, it makes my very happy! :db: Didn't mean to get carried away, I haven't seen The Set Up for ages, but I remember liking it a lot too.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:01 pm
Didn't mean to get carried away, I haven't seen The Set Up for ages, but I remember liking it a lot too.
I want you all to get carried away! I love the suggestions!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

This boxing movie made me think of a fantastic wrestling movie. A corker of a British film noir Night and The City 1950.

Starring no less than Richard Widmark, Gene Tierney ( star of countless noirs ) and the indomitable Mike Mazurki as "The Strangler", his wrestling non de plum. Mazurki is playing to type as his character is almost the same as his role in Murder My Sweet. Where he played a punch-drunk pugilist, Joe "Moose" Malloy, in search of his, he thinks, lady love Velma, played by Claire Trevor, who also starred in numerous noirs.

Widmark is a down at his luck grifter who is hatching a plan to make it big in the world of wrestling promotion. It's a dark dismal story climaxed with one of the best at night chase scenes through dark streets and even darker alleys.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!