Films For the New Year

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

Films For the New Year

Post by Kitty »

So I thought I'd make a thread of thoughts on films that one might watch on new years eve/day. There are lots that people will watch and time so that such and such scene will be playing as the clock strikes 12 and so on.

What New Years themed films come to mind, or even just plain 'jolly good fun' films might you say are fitting?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: Films For the New Year

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Great idea!

Woody's Allen's Radio Days springs to mind. But we don't have it. Boohoo

But we do have a corker of a movie with a New Year's Eve "Party", the pivotal scene in Sunset Blvd. Norma hosts a grand New Year's Even party, with only two guests, her and Joe. That's when Joe (big dope that he is) realizes Norma is in love with him. Yikes :shock:
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I have never seen Radio Days, but Sunset Blvd is definitely a New Years film!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've not seen Radio Days, either, but yes, Sunset would be a good New Years Eve one. :)

Well, this is not really related to New Years, per se, at all, but I relate it to New Years because I first saw it on New Years night many years ago. I speak of Thunderbirds Are Go. When I was flipping through the channels around midnight and first ran across it, I thought, what in the world is that? :shock:

If not familiar with the Thunderbirds (there were both a TV series and several movies), I'll say that it is probably an acquired taste. :D Anyway, I have a personal tradition of rewatching all or a part of it on New Years eve, along with some New Years big band specials I taped off PBS one time.

If you want just a sample, you can check out the groovy Swinging Star sequence starting 49:15. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOHBf8ZUpBs

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

If you guys ever get a chance to see Radio Days it is a delightful film. (and trust me I don't say delightful that often) Mia Farrow is especially endearing as a completely ditzy would be radio star who has an especially dee-lightful scene on the roof top of a high building on New Years Eve.

I think you would both love this movie.

https://youtu.be/CEd8tjKsYT4

Also ding ding ding, Mia Farrow is of course in Rosemary's Baby and that has a dandy New Years party :shock: ushering in the arrival of her son of Satan.

Oh jeez Donnie I love The Thunderbirds! I'd like to have that groovy pink car with the 6 wheels.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I saw Rosemary's Baby, but it was a while ago. I remember it being an enjoyable one.

I'll put Radio Days on my list. I loved Take the Money and Run. I couldn't get through Annie Hall, though.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:26 pm
I saw Rosemary's Baby, but it was a while ago. I remember it being an enjoyable one.

I'll put Radio Days on my list. I loved Take the Money and Run. I couldn't get through Annie Hall, though.
I have a gub! :lol: I liked that movie too.

Diane Keaton gets on my nerves a bit and she did in Annie Hall. I like quite a few Woody Allen movies, his older goofier ones, like Sleeper and Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask and a real gem, What's Up Tiger Lilly ?.
From wackypedia:
What's Up, Tiger Lily? is a 1966 American comedy film directed by Woody Allen in his feature-length directorial debut. Allen took a Japanese spy film, International Secret Police: Key of Keys, and overdubbed it with completely original dialogue that had nothing to do with the plot of the original film.
Now me: it worked very well and made one hoot of an outlandishly entertaining movie.

Not sure what we are watching tonight now, because BCC America is having a Dr. Who marathon and Sy-Fy is running their New Years Twilight Zone marathon. What a choice to try and make.
And I'd still like to watch Sunset Blvd. , but then I can do that anytime.

Well Happy New Year! over and out! :D

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 pm
Not sure what we are watching tonight now, because BCC America is having a Dr. Who marathon...
Vintage or newer Who, I wonder?

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:18 pm
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 pm
Not sure what we are watching tonight now, because BCC America is having a Dr. Who marathon...
Vintage or newer Who, I wonder?
The newer Dr. Whos, but they did have the episode when they had all the Doctors that are still alive and then a long shot of all 12 of them, of course the majority of them stand ins, in the correct attire for the appropriate Dr.

Tom Baker did a wonderful scene with Matt Smith, that would give any Whovian goosebumps! It's when Gallifrey is hidden in a large oil painting.

We ended up, for our main entertainment last night, watching Sunset Blvd. and I've probably only seen it about 50 times now. :? I never tire of it, obviously. I've been watching it since I was a kid, back in the days when you'd sometimes have to set your alarm clock to get you up in the middle of the night to see some beloved movie being shown on TV. One time I had a Lost Horizon viewing party at 5:00 am.

Crikey, collectively our neighborhood must have let off a gazillion LOUD fireworks starting about 6 pm and lasting until midnight. And Great Caesars Ghost! at midnight I can't even describe the noise.

donnie

Post by donnie »

The twelve Doctors together sounds cool! I'll have to check that out sometime. I watched Thunderbirds again. :lol:
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:06 am
Crikey, collectively our neighborhood must have let off a gazillion LOUD fireworks starting about 6 pm and lasting until midnight. And Great Caesars Ghost! at midnight I can't even describe the noise.
Yeah, it was noisy enough here, only it didn't let up until about 1:00 AM. :roll: