Cult Films

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

Cult Films

Post by Kitty »

Phantom of the Paradise. Have you seen it? It's one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a Rock Opera mixed with Faust mixed with horror mixed with Phantom of the Opera. I believe this is Brian De Palma's crowning masterpiece. Also, that is where the quote in my signature came from. It's one of those films you never ever forget. It's from the 70s, and that should tell you a good amount about it. Wild, weird, and super effective. If for nothing else you must watch for the character Beef.
Beef. That's all I can say. :lol: :)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: Cult Films

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 am
Phantom of the Paradise. Have you seen it? It's one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a Rock Opera mixed with Faust mixed with horror mixed with Phantom of the Opera. I believe this is Brian De Palma's crowning masterpiece. Also, that is where the quote in my signature came from. It's one of those films you never ever forget. It's from the 70s, and that should tell you a good amount about it. Wild, weird, and super effective. If for nothing else you must watch for the character Beef.
Beef. That's all I can say. :lol: :)
Oh yes I love this movie. Gerrit Graham (Beef) and Paul Williams were great in this. I haven't watched it for decades now. I need to see it again. It is as you say weirdly wonderful.

I have so many cult favorites, but a real gem, well worth seeking out is The King of Hearts 1966. It's set in France during World War I. It's a real cinematic gem.

Charles Plumpick (Alan Bates) is a kilt-wearing Scottish soldier who is sent by his commanding officer to disarm a bomb placed in the town square by the retreating Germans.
As the fighting comes closer to the town, its inhabitants—including those who run the insane asylum—abandon it. The asylum gates are left open, and the inmates leave the asylum and take on the roles of the townspeople. Plumpick has no reason to think they are not who they appear to be—other than the colorful and playful way in which they're living their lives, so at odds with the fearful and war-ravaged times. The lunatics crown Plumpick King of Hearts with surreal pageantry as he frantically tries to find the bomb before it goes off.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Thank you for the suggestion! I will look it up. I love love offbeat weird movies! Always looking for suggestions.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Another one in this category is Forbidden Zone, co-written by Danny Elfman, and music by Oingo Boingo. This is a weird one: enter at your own risk. It did what it set out to do in the first place, make a B movie in silly style. There are some very strange, uncomfortable parts, (hey, it's still practically the 70s where anything goes), but mostly it is a very clever, offbeat photoplay that redeems itself in music and style. This one's a keeper in my book. Oh, and did I mention a couple references to Cab Calloway, from the lip syncing of his rendition of Some of These Days to Minnie the Moocher?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This film I am going to talk about is up there with the weirdest movies I've ever seen. It's not old, but definitely on par with those bad B movies of old. It's a movie by Kevin Smith called Tusk (2014). Not for the faint of heart.
It's about a podcaster who goes to Canada, and, due to a mishap, decides to interview a different person than he originally intended to. Well, this man that he interviews is not what he seems, and, we soon learn, has an obsession with walruses.
It stars Justin Long as the podcaster and Haley Joel Osment is in it with a hilarious performance from Johnny Depp as a French private eye. Keep an eye out for the convenience store scenes in which both Johnny Depp's and Kevin Smith's daughters are the girls behind the counter. There was a spin-off type movie starring these girls called Yoga Hosers (2016), but Tusk is the better of the two.
It's a must-see for lovers of the weird and unusual movie, and perfect for those who love dark comedy. Just beware, it's essentially a horror movie.