Shall We Dance? (And Sing?)

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

Shall We Dance? (And Sing?)

Post by Kitty »

Let's talk about the very best in musicals. I have always loved Hello Dolly. Are there any that stand out for you?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: Shall We Dance? (And Sing?)

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Hands down my favorite musicals are The Wizard of Oz and Babes in Toyland 1934 with Laurel and Hardy, oh and Whoopee, 1930 with Eddie Cantor, it's pre-code and two color technicolor. Greg Toland (Citizen Kane) was one of the cinematographers and if you pay attention you will see a young blonde Lucille Ball in the chorus line, I forget which song and dance number at the moment.

All the Busby Berkeley musicals, special favorites, Gold Diggers of 1933. And I have to admit I have a real fondness for Carman Miranda movies.

And all of the Big Broadcast movies and the Broadway Melodies movies..all from the 1930's.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Whoopee sounds interesting—I need to check that out. I like those really early sound musicals.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've never seen an Eddie Cantor film, but I think he's a funny guy!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Has everyone seen the 1960 version of Peter Pan with Mary Martin? Seriously, if you have time you must see it. Notice how amazing it really is. Then watch it again. Realize that you are watching a stage show from 57 years ago, and it is just as engaging as it was to people in 1960. Then realize that you want to see it again. With your kids or grandkids or whoever will sit and watch it with you, because every time you see it, it's new. It seems real. It's a beautiful, beautiful show that is just as essential as watching the silent version! Oh, and just TRY not to clap when tink is dying.

https://youtu.be/N4_3LdcenB4

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Yeah oh Boy, I remember seeing the Mary Martin Peter Pan in 1960 it had to be. She was wonderful. thank you for posting the video, it sure brought back memories.

I'm trying to find the entire movie for you guys..Making Whoopee, but did get this, unfortunately Lucille Ball is not in this batch of girls.

https://youtu.be/ANRPmTZRqkg

Here we go, not the best copy I have to say...oh and of interest this is the first movie Busby Berkeley had a dance number in.

https://www.ovguide.com/whoopee!-9202a8 ... 000563d190

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Thank you for posting! That was interesting. I wasn't expecting it to be in color. Oh, I see now that you said that in your original post. Oopsies! :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm just gonna leave this catchy little diddy here for you to enjoy. Whale of a Tale!!

https://youtu.be/AkjTGCrLvAU

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D I didn't realize Kirk Douglas ever did things like that.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Jeez, Kirk Douglas had a pretty good singing voice.

I love this from Gold Diggers of 1933 you can't ask for anything more than having Ginger Rogers sings some of the lyrics in pig Latin. That happens around 1:40.

https://youtu.be/UJOjTNuuEVw