Vitaphone Vaudevilles

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
donnie

Re: Vitaphone Vaudevilles

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:46 am
Just watched this one in full out of morbid curiosity....I guess they'd fare better performing in a House for the Inebriated.
:lol: Yes, that's a pretty good assessment. Apparently they made a living at this, but it's hard to see how. It just seems pretty much like random, nonsensical stuff off the top of their heads. I can sense that Sales might have had some appealing talent with some decent material, but Dooley seemed just irritating all around.
Kitty wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:02 pm
One question though - what was that comment he made about her fur stole?
Glad you liked this one. :D

What he said was, "This, ladies, is what is known as genuine, unborn Airedale." But I didn't exactly understand the joke, either. I guess he's saying the coat looks no better than a dog's fur, but I don't know about the unborn part. :?

Here's one I think I've posted before, but bears reposting here. It's the classic Burns and Allen routine Lambchops from 1929, their first film. The jokes here are not hilarious, but their rapport is charming, and Gracie is really cute in this. (By the way, notice the former mystery circle puts in an appearance in the upper right at 7:53. :) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo6-no3sIXA

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here’s a lively group, Horace Heidt and His Californians from 1929. They play, they dance, they do choreographed motions, they sing, they do piano tricks... Well, they do a little of everything. I haven't figured out why the dog is there. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dtJO82HL9g

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is an interesting one, not because the act is all that good, but from a historical point: The Foy Family in Chips of [sic] the Old Block. These are all children of the famous Eddie Foy, Sr., the legendary entertainer who had a long and amazing career including tours of the old West in the gun-fighting towns. Six of the seven Foys are here onstage, with Bryan, the seventh, directing. They had spent most of their lives in show business, just like Eddie, Sr.

At the beginning are Madeline and Mary singing a duet accompanied in the back by Richard, who bears an amazing resemblance to his father. Following is a somewhat loosely thrown together collection of stuff, most of which is “meh” at best. But check out Madeline’s rather shocking rendition of Little Red Riding Hood. Gulp. :shock: I did like the dancing at the end, though. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnMej98uPQI

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:46 pm
It's the classic Burns and Allen routine Lambchops from 1929, their first film ... (By the way, notice the former mystery circle puts in an appearance in the upper right at 7:53. :) )
I like when the fourth wall is broken and we are directly spoken to.

I think women looked better with dark hair in black and white, but they always wanted to use blonde for some reason. Gracie looks so much better with dark hair. Arlene Francis is another that looked way better with dark hair.

Oh, and it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway that I love that dress!

Notice that George has that glam makeup on like Ray did!! Gracie is definitely adorable in this! The jokes are cute and charming, though, as you say, not hilarious. I think this charm (held very much by Gracie) is why the comedy couple endured so long.

Yes! I see the circle. Now I know what you're talking about!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:35 pm
Here’s a lively group, Horace Heidt and His Californians from 1929. They play, they dance, they do choreographed motions, they sing, they do piano tricks... Well, they do a little of everything. I haven't figured out why the dog is there. :)
Apparently he was part of the band! His name was Lobo, and he was a trained German Shepherd who could do all sorts of tricks. He doesn't seem very into it today, but his humans are doing way more than is needed in this crazy routine.
The double exposure shots are strange. And the piano part was kind of surreal!

Here's a PDF of the April 1931 edition of Radio Digest. On page 48, 49, and 104 there is a story about him, an obituary of sorts.

A quote from the article: "Lobo was a salaried member of the Californians, but refused to wear the "H-sweater" because it was beneath his dignity."

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-R ... 931-04.pdf
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:23 pm
But check out Madeline’s rather shocking rendition of Little Red Riding Hood. Gulp. :shock:
I loved her retelling of the famous classic!! Not what I was expecting at all when I first read your comment!

This whole thing seems like something they'd do for their own amusement rather than for big audiences. It also seems like something they should have done in their younger days, as sibling rivalry like that tends to fade out as people get older. I always wonder if their descendants know about this clip. It's just too bad that the last sibling was behind the scenes.

I actually don't think I've ever heard of Eddie Foy.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:38 pm
I think women looked better with dark hair in black and white, but they always wanted to use blonde for some reason. Gracie looks so much better with dark hair. Arlene Francis is another that looked way better with dark hair.
Agreed!
Kitty wrote:
Notice that George has that glam makeup on like Ray did!!
Yes, and one reviewer made an interesting comment that George should have had his fedora tilted the other way so the audience could see his face better. I wouldn’t have thought about that. Apparently, neither did he. :)
Kitty wrote:
Gracie is definitely adorable in this! The jokes are cute and charming, though, as you say, not hilarious. I think this charm (held very much by Gracie) is why the comedy couple endured so long.
George agreed that Gracie carried the act. In an interview done decades later, he stated that all he had to do was say, “Gracie, how’s your brother?” and she talked for 38 years. :)
Kitty wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:17 pm
Apparently he was part of the band! His name was Lobo, and he was a trained German Shepherd who could do all sorts of tricks. He doesn't seem very into it today, but his humans are doing way more than is needed in this crazy routine.

Here's a PDF of the April 1931 edition of Radio Digest. On page 48, 49, and 104 there is a story about him, an obituary of sorts.

A quote from the article: "Lobo was a salaried member of the Californians, but refused to wear the "H-sweater" because it was beneath his dignity."

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-R ... 931-04.pdf
Interesting! Thanks for the info. I think Lobo was probably right about the sweaters. :D
Kitty wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:10 pm
...It's just too bad that the last sibling was behind the scenes.

I actually don't think I've ever heard of Eddie Foy.
Yes, you'd think they would have figured out a way for Bryan to be onstage with someone else directing, at least for part of it. Check out the Wikipedia article on Foy, Sr. sometime—fascinating reading!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here's one directed by Bryan Foy (who also appears on screen this time) and starring the crooner Georgie Price. He had a pretty polished act and was a good singer, though his style is very dated sounding (which makes it all the more interesting). He has that classic late 20's-sounding nasal voice with the downward slides in pitch at the ends of words or phrases, which you might or might not find appealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQTUOwi0mQ
Last edited by donnie on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:48 pm
Here's one directed by Bryan Foy (who also appears on screen this time) and starring the crooner Georgie Price.
Georgie reminds me of a guy I grew up with -- good looking, too!

His singing style is Jolson-esque. I used to hate that style of singing because it's kind of weird, but I've warmed up to it in recent years.

It's fascinating to see these films from the early sound period!!!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, he does sound very Jolson-esque, now that you mention it!

This is one of my favorites of the early WB Vitaphones. It isn’t a vaudeville act per se, but a pretty funny comedy short about vaudeville, The Happy Hottentots (1930)

To explain the gag behind it (this was something I didn’t know until reading about it after watching the short): there were three levels of vaudeville, with performers in the “small time” having to do frequent performances, sometimes several a day, for low pay. If they worked their way up through the “medium time” to the “big time”, they got paid a lot more while having to do only one or two performances a day. So, basically the more times per day you had to do your act, the lower on the rung you were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFfN9mbANGw