Soundie Shorts

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

Soundie Shorts

Post by Kitty »

A very sweet short film from Warner Bros. called A Star In the Night (1945).
https://youtu.be/UtPWiKYZ_pc
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Soundie Shorts

Post by donnie »

That was so good!! :D Thanks for sharing it.

A couple of odd things: the cowboys/wise men carrying around armfuls of superfluous toys in the desert; and a professional-sounding choir singing at a small motel for some reason (while throwing their food containers out the windows :?: :lol: )

But it was a really nice story. And the actors who played Nick and the hitchhiker were especially good. I must admit I got quite a lump in my throat at the end. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:38 pm
That was so good!! :D Thanks for sharing it.
I'm glad you liked it! I was searching for random old Christmas shorts and found this gem.
donnie wrote:
A couple of odd things: the cowboys/wise men carrying around armfuls of superfluous toys in the desert;
The cowboys are wandering through the desert with toys because they bought all those things at the last store just to impress the pretty clerk behind the counter, even though they'd never see her again. Boys are silly!
donnie wrote:
and a professional-sounding choir singing at a small motel for some reason (while throwing their food containers out the windows :?: :lol: )
That is hilarious! The way you put it made me laugh. I didn't even think about how weird that is. And why didn't they come out and help?
donnie wrote:
But it was a really nice story. And the actors who played Nick and the hitchhiker were especially good. I must admit I got quite a lump in my throat at the end. :)
Yes, I really loved those actors and the wife especially was so heartwarming with her positivity! I'm glad the parallel didn't get too groany (to me at least) and it stayed true to the point of view of the innkeeper. A well done short. I didn't really know they made shorts at this late date.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:20 pm
The cowboys are wandering through the desert with toys because they bought all those things at the last store just to impress the pretty clerk behind the counter, even though they'd never see her again. Boys are silly!
I don't know if I'd be that silly even if that clerk was a sweetie! I mean, one of them was carrying a Christmas tree. Through the desert. On a horse. :)
Kitty wrote:
That is hilarious! The way you put it made me laugh. I didn't even think about how weird that is. And why didn't they come out and help?
Yeah, and there were a bunch of them. It sounded like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Kitty wrote:
I didn't really know they made shorts at this late date.
I didn't either. A lot of this general type were done in the 30's, but I think they were probably unusual at this late of a date.

A detail I noticed: I wonder what that thing is in the corner with what looks like a round screen at 13:39. Also, the portly actor there played the mayor on The Andy Griffith Show for the first few seasons. He didn't change much between 1945 and the early '60's.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It has a bunch of knobs. My first inclination would be a radio, but I don't know for sure!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 am
It has a bunch of knobs. My first inclination would be a radio, but I don't know for sure!
At first I thought it might be an early TV—they did have circular screens, but the screens weren't that large, normally, and also '45 would be a little too early. It's either a radio, or maybe a vending machine of some kind with a circular mirror on the front.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh, I just thought, maybe a cigarette machine? Probably not, though.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:14 pm
Oh, I just thought, maybe a cigarette machine? Probably not, though.
I think you're right! Look at this photo.
Attachments
$_3.jpg
$_3.jpg (29.29 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yay! I am amazed that I was right! Neato!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This is labeled 1913, but I have major doubts. It's a curiosity nonetheless. It ends abruptly, unfortunately, before the last song is ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqAiAsMOCIk