Sunset Boulevard TCM Big Screen Event

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

Sunset Boulevard TCM Big Screen Event

Post by Kitty »

Soooooo excited to see this one in the theater this afternoon! Woohoo!
Attachments
EK8L.gif
EK8L.gif (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4981 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Sunset Boulevard TCM Big Screen Event

Post by donnie »

:D I hope you enjoy it!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It was awesome! Gloria Swanson was amazing even on the big screen! ☺️
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D Wow, I'd like to see that in a theatre. Was this your first time seeing it? Didn't Gloria Swanson give a delightfully creepy performance? And Erich von Stroheim is, for the most part, so low key in contrast with his reputation from the silent film days.

I know Anna Q. Nilsson is in it—and some other silent star I can't remember—? I didn't know who she was when I saw it back years ago. I'd like to watch it again sometime and see if I can notice her.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

No, I have seen it too many times to count. She is amazing in it! She is amazing in everything, really. I think Erich von Stroheim is awesome, too. It's kind of funny how someone can get a reputation, but it's hard to imagine them like that, and others you can tell right away that the rumors are true. Anna Q. Nilsson, Buster Keaton, and H.B. Warner make cameos in Sunset Blvd during a bridge game the four are playing. It was thrilling to see Buster on the big screen, even if it was just five seconds.
I definitely shed a good amount of happy tears during certain scenes of the film. It's great to see these movies in the theater.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Sunset Blvd is such a gem, it's a perfect movie for my money. And I love William Holden, one of our greatest actors I think.
Something that has always bugged me is how they make us feel like Gloria's character is an old, over the hill, washed up old has been and she was only 50 years old! Hardly a dried up old prune ready for the scrap heap.

The history of Gloria Swanson and von Stroheim working together on Queen Kelly, he directed it, and then he is playing her ex husband/director, but relegated to the role of butler.

I love this movie and I am so jealous Kitty got to see it on a big screen. Wowzer! what a thrill that would be.

Remember Carol Burnett when she did Nora Desmond and Harvey Korman as Max. :lol:
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I have to look up that Burnett bit!

They did kind of act like she was an old lady has been, but I think that was more her fault in that she hadn't been working since silents went out, and she still thought she was a big well loved star. I'll tell you one thing, though, the audience really would chew you up and spit you out if you didn't work for, let's say even a year, they'd forget about you so easily. It didn't help that she was still so high maintenance 20 years later.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 pm
I have to look up that Burnett bit!

They did kind of act like she was an old lady has been, but I think that was more her fault in that she hadn't been working since silents went out, and she still thought she was a big well loved star. I'll tell you one thing, though, the audience really would chew you up and spit you out if you didn't work for, let's say even a year, they'd forget about you so easily. It didn't help that she was still so high maintenance 20 years later.
Like Bette Davis in All About Eve like she was getting to be over the hill.

And pretty soon we have Bette Davis and Joan Crawford in movies like Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Straitjacket or Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte which besides Bette Davis starred Tallulah Bankhead and Olivia de Havilland.

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte still creeps me out, oh yeah Joseph Cotton is in it too. He was majorly creepy in it. :shock:

Ha I just noticed I have Norman Desmond as my avatar. How timely
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I loved Baby Jane and Charlotte. Beautiful and well made movies. I go back and forth on Bette Davis. Sometimes I think she is a genius, but then I see an interview with her and she seems like a super hoity toity too-serious-sally.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:13 pm
Remember Carol Burnett when she did Nora Desmond and Harvey Korman as Max. :lol:
Oh yeah! :db: The funniest thing ever. They did that in several different sketches. "How dare you insult de greet Nora Desmond!!" :lol: I loved Harvey Korman.